Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GA - Savannah
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am heading to Savannah later this month for a vacation and seeking advise on sailing my Hobie 16 while there.
Is there a place to launch on Tybee?
Am I am able to beach store the boat for the week I am there? I have seen boats on Tybee back river before.
Is the sailing worth trailering my boat all the way there?
Are there any local Hobie sailors on Tybee wanting to take my and my kids out?

Post subject: Re: GA - Savannah
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey,

I live in Savannah and was just scouting out the access to the beach because I am trying to get my 39 year old Hoble 16 operational again. It looked like access to the beach has not been blocked, but I asked someone who is renting chairs/umbrellas and she said she had not seen any sailboats there. We used to have an active sailing fleet number 294 but that was a long time ago. We used to always have at least a dozen at a time parked on the beach. The access point is about a block south of the curve just as you get close to the beaches. It is called 3rd street right next to the desoto beach hotel. Parking a trailer would be difficult there and the meter maids are very aggressive about writing tickets so you have to be legally parked at all times. Anyhow, even if you can not get to the beach at Tybee is is worth driving down to St Simons Island in Brunswick. They have an excellent launching location with free parking and facilities. Sailing is good at either location. On Tybee I have never sailed in the back river although I know others have successfully from there. I feel like launching through surf might be risky but in the right weather I suppose you would be able to go into the ocean without too much trouble, I would not advise sailing north toward Hilton Head. The shipping channel is very busy and you would not want to cross it unless you had good speed. I saw someone ride the bow wave off a ship and I thought he was on the other side of the ship. Scary. Go too far to the south and you can hit sand bars but if you head straight out and back it is a good ride. Same probably goes for St Simons Island. I was about 2 miles offshore around 1984 there and hit the largest wave I have ever seen - about 12 ft and my boat went completely airborne but usually we only have about 4 to 6 ft swells when windy. Anyhow, post a reply to let me know when you are headed down. I will try to get more info about launch conditions here. One thing that always worked against us is that the department of natural resources kicked us out of the sand dunes because they wanted to protect the beach plant and wildlife. So it is not quite as sailboat friendly as it was in 1982 when I got my boat. Pull up the google satellite maps and look for 3rd St on Tybee, or on St Simons look for East Beach and you will see a parking area there with about 50 sailboats. Also st simons has a web site with more info http://www.stsimonssurfsailors.com. Hope this helps.

Randy

Post subject: Re: GA - Savannah
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello fellow sailors,
I followed this thread just yesterday in search of the Hobie fleet on tybee island. I went to the desoto hotel and walked down onto the beach on third street and there are absolutely no cats to be seen. Im guessing the fleet and the cats that were on this beach back in the day are all gone.

I’m wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of the nearest active Hobie fleet to Savannah/tybee island GA. If there aren’t any around then I’m wondering where individuals are launching their cats on the beach as there doesn’t seem to be any beach access. The small bay area at the mouth of the Wilmington river looks promising for cat sailing as well but I do not see any easy access points without having to sail through the back rivers to get there. Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.