Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all! I just bought my first sailboat, a Holder 14 MK2. It's in really great shape, and hasn't even been in the water since 2005. There are a few things I need to do.

1. Replace running rigging. (Already ordered)
2. Fix a few minor problems in the hull and centerboard.

I need help with paint, primarily. I'm good on repairing the glass, I've got a lot of experience with epoxy resin and already have that on hand. I'm going to use 10oz cloth to repair a couple dings on the bottom and a "didn't tie up the centerboard while trailering" issue that the previous owner seems to have had.

My question is on paint. I really don't want to repaint the whole hull this spring, I want to get sailing. Do you folks have recommendation for paint to go over the glass? I can repaint the whole centerboard, that's not a lot. The repairs are all under the waterline too, so I don't really care if they are not exactly right in shade, but the hull is that awesome 80s yellow and I'd like to match it if possible. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The hulls are technically not “painted” from the factory, they are gelcoated. That is essentially a pigmented polyester resin topcoat. The best approach would be to cover your repair with gelcoat. You can get white or neutral gelcoat and then add pigment to match the surrounding color (although getting an exact match can be tough). Keep in mind that you need a barrier between the gelcoat and air in order for it to fully cure. So either spray PVA after you apply the gelcoat or add a small quantity of liquid wax additive to the gelcoat before appllying. Also keep in mind that gelcoat will bond best to polyester resin (not epoxy), so using polyester rather than epoxy for your repair might be prefered. Polyester is what the rest of the hull is made of.

I’ve had good results using materials from here: http://www.uscomposites.com/polyesters.html

sm

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply! I should have been more careful with my terminology. I know the boat is polyester and that it's gelcoat, not paint. I'm probably not going to mess with polyester resin and gelcoat, as my experience is firmly in the epoxy camp and I already have that on hand.

After speaking with some coatings folks, I'm going to go ahead and repair the damage with epoxy and fiberglass, and then go over it with some 2 part epoxy barrier coat. It won't match, but I'm less worried about that than getting on the water.

I'll save a complete overhaul of the hull for the winter.