Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So this turns out to be a much more complicated question than it should have been due to user error, however:

I left my iTrek 11 too close to a camp fire, and an ember melted through the padded deck and the top layer of the outer deck. I did on an on-water repair that lasted a day or two, and when I got home I attempted a permanent repair by cutting away a small portion of the padded deck.

I carefully used a heat gun/utility knife to loosen the glue and my first cut was almost perfect. I then made a decision to make the cut slightly larger and must not have been quite as careful because my second attempt resulted in 2 two additional, tiny nicks from the gosh darn utility knife [1]. I left it over-night in my living room, and my dang cat seems to have zoned in on the area I had exposed repair for a little late night claw sharpening [2]. As a result I now have five small holes to patch instead of one, all in small area. [3]

OPTION ONE: Given the distance between them, I could cover each of them with individual patches that are roughly the size of a dime, and one in loose "L" shape to cover two that are very close together.

OPTION TWO: Or, I could use ONE large patch that is roughly 1.5-2" square to cover all 5 holes.

Which approach is likely to work best over the long-term?

[1] I have owned numerous inflatables over the years, and let me say, this boat is THIN and barely a knick of the knife results in instant chaos! It is roughly half the weight of an 1000 weight SUP i own and have scratched up with screw drivers, hooks, rocks, etc. with no punctures.

[2] I'm telling you, this is a really thin boat. They were just tiny little claw imprints but sure enough, more bubbles.

[3] Yes, I am an idiot. I have since learned that a butter knife and heat works just fine, with no need for a blade or curious cats anywhere near this boat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:01 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

Hello,

Either way you want to patch the holes, together or individually, is acceptable.

Pro tips: have a clean surface, make sure that the contact cement is dry to the touch, and maintain constant pressure on the patch for at least 8-12hours

Please take a look at this instructional repair video for Hobie Inflatable kayaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmjdyhu_sVc&list=PLBRH11E66zdWB8j11NVc8x6GyKKU6Yg99&index=43&t=2s

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quick update and a request for more advice:

I started with Option 1 and created individual patches for each hole. The location of the holes was right next to the drive hole, which made it impossible for me to clamp (without locating and buying some giant clamps i don't currently own.) I let the patches cure for 24 hours plus, and my first day on the water, everything was perfect. No leaks, and no post-trip leaks when I ran a soap test.

But then on a trip the very next day, shortly after inflation, I noticed bubbles appearing on several of the patches. The boat had been stored in the back of my SUV overnight, and it was inflated in baking hot sun. My hypothesis is that a combination of the hot car + hot sun softened the glue. I was able to apply direct pressure, and eventually the patches re-sealed and i was able to enjoy my day.

Given the issues, I decided to remove the individual patches by softening with a heat gun, carefully cleaning all the residue, and attempted Option Two with a single patch. This time, after letting the patch cure for several hours, I partially inflated the boat to 2 psi and placed a fitted board and 55lb weight on the patch to apply pressure.

This also went well, and was perfect on my first day on the water. This time I did not leave it in the car overnight, but nonetheless, on the very next day the scenario repeated itself. In a hot sun immediately after inflation, the patch starting bubbling and leaking air. Again I was able to apply pressure and eventually the bubbles stopped and I continued on for a 6-hour paddle.

Will time eventually cure this, or is there anything else I can do to make the patch more reliable? e.g. should I put another layer of patch on top with light glue to prevent direct sun?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you are seeking alternative approaches and will assume the risk thereof, try a youtube search of "nrs inflatable patch" or similar. They have dozens that switch in and out of PVC cases, but they at least give slight variations from Hobie that you may find useful. Maybe sanding or using a pressure wheel, or a different kind of glue.

I only recall doing one patch to a non-hobie according to their advice. It was a near impossible seam repair where there was abutment with almost no overlap and high 10psi. The glue wasn't a wimpy contact one but something that chemically melted the original together. I hear effective glues have been banned (in CA?) as toxic, so maybe they had to switch away from my welding type glue which worked very well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the advice...I own some Sea Eagles, and they come with "PVC" glue. This has worked awesomely on the 2 occasions I've had to patch but sure enough:

Quote:
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including DEHP (Di(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate), which is known to the state of California to cause Cancer, Birth Defects or other reproductive harm.

I'm thinking I'll keep my original patch for a few more trips to see if it improves but otherwise may attempt with this more toxic glue.

p.s. While I stand by my claim that this boat is WAY more delicate than, say, my Sea Eagle Fish SUP 12, I recently took it on a 4 day river trip on the Upper St. Croix River and it performed like a CHAMPION. Due to low river levels we were frequently dragging our boats across jagged rocks over low rapids. I've long since learned that the Sea Eagle can handle just about anything with no problems, but I was incredibly impressed that the iTrek went rapid-for-rapid with no issues.