Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer wheel bearings
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is slightly off-topic, but since the trailer is for a Hobie 16...

Anyway, I bought a used Hobie 16 in October, and while the cat itself is in good shape, the trailer needs some work. I had a question about replacing the wheel bearings, and was hoping someone would know the answer.

When the inner bearing is inserted into the inner race, it ends up being about .5" from the outer edge of the hub. If I were to just insert the grease seal flush with the hub, there'd still be about a .25" gap between the inner bearing and the grease seal, and the bearing could freely move out of the race and inward (toward the middle of the trailer).

Is this the way it should be, or should I continue to press the grease seal down into the hub until it's in contact with the inner bearing? If so, how much pressure should there be? The inner edge of the grease seal is some kind of rubber or plastic, so it is flexible, but if it's pressed too hard against the inner bearing will it cause problems?

Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok here is the thing I'm fairly mechanical I can't say for sure with out hoestly looking at your bearing set up. It sounds like you might have the seal reversed, but I don't know. I would look online for your trailer make and go from there searches in bearing replacement on google works also. I installed bearring buddies on my trailer I followed the diretions in the box. Safety in everthing does save lifes. I trailer at least a hour to sail.

Fair winds and easy pulls to ya.

Todd C