Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi friends,

One of my hulls has a large soft spot in it side, almost entirely underwater. It's a circular spot with diameter of about 10 inches. If you press firmly with your hand it lowers about one inch but then the structure seems still strong. I believe the external layer is healty but the foam in the sandwhich is not.

I know that resin injections can cure this problems but I am worried that if I won't be able to seal properly the drilled holes for injections water can get inside since the repaired area is below the water surface.

So my question is whether it makes sense to try to repair this damage or if it's better to leave it as is. In the second case what is the risk of having this weakness?

Thank you in advance,
Fabio - Italy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ciao Fabio Do've Italia
For your soft spot I would ifx it. Where at on the hull is it? do you have acesss ports to see the inside it may be better to do a patch instead of doing a resin pour. Do you leave your Cat in the water? These are things to consider. If you leave your cat in the Water what you may have is a intake of water though the gellcaoat from a deep scratch.

Anyone got a clue :?:

col mustard in the study with a knife.

Todd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

Forgot to mention that it's a HC 14 built in 1983 in Europe.

The soft spot is on a side of a hull, the side which looks to the other. It's located just aft the front pilon.

No ports have been installed.

As far as I know the previous owner didn't use to keep it in water and I don't do so as well. The longest period in water is a very few times for the weekend when I use it multiple times per day.

Gelcoat and most external fiberglass/PE layer don't look damaged.

I believe it might have been caused by car-topping it because it is in the area where it weights on the carrier bar.

Thanks,
Fabio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi again,

I was reasoning about your answer and my problem and I was wondering if the following plan makes sense.

I could install an inspection port and, if possible, repair any damage from inside. This would ensure that my repair won't create new leaks because the extenal side would remain untouched. The inspection port would also make it clear how serious the damage is.

What do you think?

Is the port installation easy?

Is there any disvantage?

The inspection port would stay between the pilons on the deck, will it make the hull weaker?

What is the advisable size for an HC 14?

Finally, my European Hobie dealer just told me that his ports are flat, rather the american pdf Hobie catalog says that ports are curved for best fit on the deck (see HATCH COVER KITS on http://static.hobiecat.com/2010_archive/support/pdfs/04catalog.pdf). Should I try to adapt the flat one or is it better to order curved one from a US reseller?

Thanks,
Fabio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would install the inspection ports very easy to install you could order from online. or have your dealer order the ones you want. looking in side the hull would give you a better idea of what is wrong and the best way to repair the problem.

Todd