Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Im interested in repainting my Mast, Boom, Crossbars.

they are quiet faded and scuffed up.

they are black or should i say was black at one time lol.

what would be the best marine paint / spray can type to use on these parts.

and how many coats should i use?

thanks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Try using a product called Penetrol. You can find it in the paint department. Use a clean lint free rag rub on an even coat and let dry. You might be surprised how well it works.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

did the paint ever chip or come off when you painted the mast boom etc? I want to paint them but i'm afraid it'll easily chip??? Also isn't penatrol just a clear liquid you add to paint? how does that work to make it black again?

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bumping this thread, as I have the same question. Just bought a 1973 Hobie 16. It needs quite a bit of TLC, and will likely be my summer project.

As others on this thread have mentioned, one of it's problems is that the multitude of black anodized parts are all scratched. Everything is structurally sound, I just want to make it look as nice as possible. I'll only be lake sailing, so salt corrosion should not be a problem. I've googled this multiple times, and have found the following advice:

The best way to make the black parts look nice is by using Penetrol. Despite the fact that this is designed as an additive for alkyd based paints, I tried it on some of my metal and it makes the black anodized parts nice and shiny. Seems to work well, but (of course) does nothing for the silver scratches. For those, I've found the following suggestions (and would love input into which (of any) are worthwhile:

1. Live with them as is. It's like grey hair, best to just leave it alone.
2. Use Aluminum Black:
Seems to be marketed to gunsmiths. Several posters suggest using it, but no one talks about whether it works well or not.
3. Use Black Nail Polish
4. Use Black epoxy
5. Use black paint

I am open to any and all suggestions. If you've tried something and it's worked, or not, I'd love to know. I realize that nothing will be as good as the original anodized surface, I'm just looking for the next best option. Re-anodizing anything is not really in my budget.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm looking to do the same thing on my '81 H16. I used to have a black finish polish for an old 280ZX and it worked great on all the black metal trim. Like armorall on the tires, all the black metal looked brand spanking new.

I haven't been able to find any yet but haven't looked that hard, either. I'm sure a decent auto parts store will have some, which is where I'm heading next. Just thought I'd post the approach I"m going to take in case anyone can use it. I'll post results, too, once I have them.

Good luck!

If it ain't a blowin', I ain't a goin'

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I painted all metal surfaces on mine with flat black, then gave them a nice 800grit wetsand...so far they have all lasted sitting outside for almost a year!

1996 SeaDoo GTI
1999 Hunter 340

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I scuffed and painted my '83 cross bars. They looked good until I went sailing and they got scratched. I think I'll have to touch them up all the time to keep them pretty.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the ideas. I got a chance to look at my H16 again this weekend, and what I thought were "little scratches" are actually "Large areas of completely denuded aluminum", especially on the crossbars. Hence, I think I'll go with the flat black paint idea.