Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "water" in the delam.?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After scraping barnacles and lightly sanding, I was able to take a closer look at the hulls of the '73 HC 16 that was given to me with little history or other info on this boat. The hulls are somewhat rough below the water-line but seem to be sound except for a 6" X 12" delam. located at a previous repair on the left side of the port hull adjacent to the front pylon "shoe".
I understand the Git-rot injection repair method is recommended but when I drilled the perimeter vent holes I found the area totally saturated. I would guess that water/moisture would negate any resin repair.
I also understand that this is a high stress area and is susceptible to cracks in both the interior or exterior glass of the laminate. The exterior glass of the previous repair does have a crack, but, having poured water from the drain hole, I don't know that the interior glass here is not damaged also.
Questions:
1. If I remove the outer glass and foam from the entire delam to check for inner glass damage and remove all moisture, should I rebuild this area with new foam or just glass mat it up flush?
2. Would it be easier to open an access hole (hatch) in the deck to make an inside/shoe repair, or could that be done as an outside blind repair?
Thanks for any advice...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:47 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

There's a saying that "if it's made of fiberglass, it can be fixed."

However, at some point, you can replace the whole hull for the time, effort and materials you would spend to fix a really bad area.

You have at least half a square foot of delam (I'll guarantee it's more like a whole square foot once you open it up) in the most structurally critical part of the boat.

I'd be looking for a new (to you) hull from a boat that's being parted out.