Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Loctite Epoxy Failure
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just removed the battens from my main after ~2 years and half the pocket end protectors came right off in my hand. I was shocked. I checked the others and they all wiggled right off in my hand, as did the leach tips without much effort. ????

What surprises me is that I installed the trentec batten pocket protectors and leech tips myself and used what I thought was decent epoxy, the Loctite that you can get on every street corner. I've used Loctite successfully in the past on other projects, but on the batten ends it just didn't hold up.

What I ended up with was something that resembled rubber cement. After removing the protectors and the leach tips I was able to scrape off what was left with my fingernail. !!!

So, I thought it would be worth mentioning here seeing how widely used the Loctite possibly is among other sailors and because of how unusual and complete the failure was in my case. I have a set of the large West Marine epoxy jugs that I use for larger jobs, but from this point forward I plan to use it for everything. If you've used Loctite products on your ride you might want to go and double check it.

Has anyone else ever experienced this, or is there a known issue using Loctite?

Thanks in advance!

If it ain't a blowin', I ain't a goin'