Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rudder drill template
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Whenever I print out the rudder template it is always too small, no matter which type of viewer I use. Anyone else have this problem? I could blow it up but that doesn't seem logical and I don't think it would be accurate.
Template: http://www.hobiecat.com/support/tech/rudder.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

You do have to scale it to the measurements printed on the document. That's the only way to make it work since printers and document display software vary.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Be careful of that paper template, it's nearly impossible to place right. I tried in vain and finally pitched it. I even got to borrow a metal one that the local hobie shop uses, and they talked me out of it.

They recommended that I install the whole rudder system on the boat and re-drill the top hole while following the 1 5/8" - 1 3/4" guideline (I went conservative with the 1 5/8" dimension). It worked perfect and is consistent between each rudder.

Now my weather helm is much reduced and when I let go it turns up into the wind as expected. The only additional thing I had to do was come up one chain plate hole on the shrouds and down one on the forestay to reduce the mask rake a little. Now she sails very sweet indeed.

Good luck!

If it ain't a blowin', I ain't a goin'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I calculated that the template needed to be 132.8125 percent of its size. So I opened it in ms paint and stretched it to 133 percent because paint will only let you use integers. It turned out right the first time so i'm gonna try a mixture of the paper template and lining it up with the casting holes.

Another thought, I was thinking about ruffing them up and adding a layer of 6 oz fiberglass and epoxy all the way around. That way i can sand/buff them for some low friction, flex resistant rudders. But i might save that for a later date.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i just used the pdf version that is also on the hobie website. http://www.mariner-sails.com/cust_files/pdfs/rudderdrill.pdf just a reference for anyone else who has this problem in the future. adobe acrobat/reader is set by default to print stuff out to scale, unless it is too big for the paper size. i didnt have to resize or anything. drilled out the rudders Thursday. only thing i didnt like about the instructions were they said to start the bolt to hold the rudders in place, then drill through the castings from the other side. i thought it was sketchy and just pulled them off and returned to the drill press to finish them off

'81 Hobie 16 #53 Cat Fever blue hulls

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Which drill holes do I use for the old H18 style rudders, C-C or D-D?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jerin513 wrote:
Which drill holes do I use for the old H18 style rudders, C-C or D-D?

Old style = non-adjustable. C-C.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Older post, but I'll revive it with the solution to get the template to print correctly using the standard Adobe Acrobat or Acrobat Viewer that we all have installed on our PCs.

If you are printing from the PDF, you need to select file , then "print" from the dropdown menu (don't just hit the print symbol and you can't use ctrl-p either). You have to select "actual size" on the print menu that pops up (shown circled in red).

Be sure to check your dimensions, but this should make it print as intended.