Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Post more pics when it is complete please.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Gelcoated epoxy deck repair before putting the hatch back on.

Left and right side immediately after assembly

After neoprene addition and most rigging and lines attached. New self furling jib is also setup.

And trailered. I drove all the way to the beach just to find horrible weather. Hopefully I can get her out on Tuesday.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That positive / negative paint scheme is wicked bad- I was wondering what you used to get the texture on top of the hulls?

Making Wake on A No Wake Lake!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

justforfun16 wrote:
That positive / negative paint scheme is wicked bad- I was wondering what you used to get the texture on top of the hulls?

Thanks! The texture is what i believe is referred to as "orange peel" which is a side effect from a imperfect paint job and a lack of wet sanding / polishing. I was going to sand it all perfectly smooth but thought it looked just fine for a boat application once completed so I just left it. I did however sand between coats.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks pretty sick to me! Is the black gelcoat as well or paint? Estimated cost for all this stuff?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nevek wrote:
Looks pretty sick to me! Is the black gelcoat as well or paint? Estimated cost for all this stuff?

Thanks! Everything is gelcoat. For white I used the standard quart kits from west marine because I didn't know any better. For black and the clear coats I used 1 gallon cans on neutral gel coat, clear gel coat, styrene thinner, styrene wax, and black pigment all from fiberglast.com. Much cheaper and easier product to handle then the overpriced west marine kits.

All in all with the sandpaper, tarps, and there consumables I'm probably $600 deep. Another $300 for the hvlp sprayer (which was a great buy even though the preval throw away system are great for small jobs or touch ups). $100 for the orbital sander and bucket head shop vac and then finally $125 for the "big daddy" riveter. Without this last tool replacing all those stainless steel rivets would have been a whole lot harder.

Don't have exact numbers but $1000 all in with $400 in tools for other jobs sounds about right. Would probably have been cheaper to pay someone to do it but now i could probably do it all again for 350-400 and my friends and I have gained all the experience.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I took her out for the first time today only to have my side stay rip in half and have her demast on me on the far side of the lake. New rigging is on it's way. I had replaced everything but the side stays because the previous owner promised he had replaced it just 6 months ago and they looked pretty good. Point of failure was 2/3 down the wire.

But that didn't happen before most the left side track ripped out of the front cross bar. This was clearly due to the previous owner using rivets which weren't pulled properly or counter sunk. The was a siliconed screw somewhere in there as well.

Needless to say I need to now check all the other rivets. It's pretty clear he didn't have the tools to pull stainless steel rivets as almost none of them were "mushroomed" around the back. (censored)!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dang sounds like a rough first time out. Hope you get her back in shortly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Love the graphics! Would love to see some pics of it out on the water. Need to keel haul the previous owner for lying to you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The previous owner is getting a serious talking to soon.

The boat ended up being a 79, not a 86-88 as promised by the owner who purchased the boat new. The b,ack hull is a mess now that ive sailed on it a bit and the white one is not far behind

I decided to stick to lake sailing for now and stay out of the ocean. i also added a spin kit for fun :twisted: I would love to find a replacement set of hulls but am having trouble finding something decent and the $4400 that hobie wants for a set is a tough pill to swallow.

Anyone who can sell me a nice set of replacement hulls that are post 95 in the central Florida area let me know.

Btw, the black hull is all kinds of wavy about a foot in front of the front pylon and looks too also be buckling at the seam. I figure its only a matter of time now so ill sail her into the ground! Such a shame after all that work but you live and learn and i certainly wouldn't feel right selling her to someone else in this condition even if she does look sexy.

I'll try to snap some pictures next time we are out. We were dual trapping with a hull flying yesterday, wish we got a picture. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have it rigged right now to use the spinnaker as apposed to the jib traveler controls.

So I love how she came together and I think she looks great. Unfortunately here is where things are starting to go really bad.
This is what the section I had attempted to repair looks like now, not good. Looks worse after every time I take her out. I'm just waiting for it to go now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ouch! Is that where the stay broke?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nope, the stay broke about 1/3 down on the opposite hull. This appears to be progressively buckling up and out about a foot from the front pylon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:27 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

This is a case study in why you shouldn't put ports forward of the front pylon. Especially if you've already got delamination there.

Also, if you're going to use a roller furler, you should use the roller furling jib, not the standard jib. The standard jib has too much roach (curvature) in the leech. It needs the battens. The fluttering leech will significantly reduce it's life.

You need a replacement hull before you become a rescue situation.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah the port is screwed. Just trying to work with what I got, port was there when purchased.

The jib is brand new and came with the furler straight from hobie. The line you see in front of the jib is not the forestay but the spinnaker halyard.

Boat has been replaced with a h20. Still looking for replacement hulls though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next