Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought my first hobie 16. I love it. Anywhoo, the trampoline has seen some years of sun, it doesn't need a replacement yet but I was wondering, is there a product to help preserve the vinyl? Keep it young and vibrant or bring it back to life?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Location: Latrobe, PA, USA *** Show YOUR Location - Edit Profile ! ***
Generally, silicone- like Armor-All is a good treatment for weathered vinyl, after a good scrub cleaning. I have used chlorine-containing cleaners (like spray tile cleaner) and a brush with good effect but followed by a good rinse as chlorine staying on wouldn't be good.

Some have cautioned that silicone makes the tramp slippery but my initial applications were just absorbed and I haven't got to a slippery point yet.

There are advertised vinyl dyes and paints, mostly used for auto renovation, but I haven't tried those yet as the 'natural' faded blue tramp seems a good color.

I'm definitely thinking that a tramp cover will pay benefits as the local birds seem to become incontinent as soon as I scrub the tramp :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

wildlatin wrote:
Generally, silicone- like Armor-All is a good treatment for weathered vinyl, after a good scrub cleaning.

If you use any of that stuff on your tramp, you will definitely end up in the drink. Tramps get really slippery, really quick. The best thing you can do is preventative, keep it covered. UV is the worst.

Hope that helps! Happy sailing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

never ever use Armor-all on anything . it is not the wonder preservative that it has been claimed to be. use something like 303 protectant. much better product and it wont damage what its put on. and never ever use something that has a waxy film on your tramp, unless you want to go for a slide across your tramp.