Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rail Rug Repair
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

So I just purchased the rail rug kit from Hobie. I just had a question about contact cement. I've never used it before and want to make sure that I do the job right. From what I understand it bonds on contact. Is this only if both surfaces have been preped with the contact cement? I think I've heard of putting a wood dowl down so it doesn't bond right away, how does that work. I don't know exactly get how this stuff works. The guys that have done this repair before, step by step how did you go about placeing the rug on the rails.

Thanks again for your help,

Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Dude,

I always wanted to say that. :^ ) Yes, you put the cement on both sides. The trick is making sure everything is measured and cut to length before you apply the cement. You should even draw a line on the side-bar where the rail-rug is going to go. Also remember not to stretch the rug when applyiing. Apply cement to both surfaces, wait the recommended length of time then apply the rug. Start from one end applying the rug (remembering to stay on the line) and work your way to the other. After the line side is tacked down, roll the rug down across the rest of the side-bar, starting from the center and working your way to the ends, one side at a time. Loose cement removes from the rail without a problem (using a razor blade) so it's O.K. to go a little over the line when applying it to the rail. I think they recommend that the application of the rug should begin 1/4 inch (or something like that) from the inside of the rail. I hope this all makes sense.

Anyway, mine turned out great. Hope yours does too.

Happy Trapezing,
David