It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Poli Glow before or after storage?
Before Storing 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Next Season 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 1
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Am thinking about purchasing a kit on eBay for $65ish and am curious if anyone here has had any experience with the product?

My (white) hulls are in pretty good shape but do have some discoloration and an ugly pinstripe that the previous owner installed which will have to be sanded off.

I am hoping I can start with a 160-180 grit and work my way down to a finer grit paper and then the PoliGlow will fill in the surface and make her look good as new.

Also, since the sailing season is just about over here in Colorado, it will be time to store (outdoors) for the the winter. Should I do the PoliGlow before storing to seal the hulls fully, or should I just wait on the kit until spring?

Thoughts? Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

if the hulls are in good shape you should be able to compound them out and give them a good coat of wax. Get a decent buffer (rotary not orbital) and start with a wool head for the compound and finish with a foam head with the wax. Just be careful with the wool. If you get the glass too hot you can burn it and leave a brown mark thats tough to get out. After you have them buffed back up to a gloss they are easy to keep after. Maybe a quick light compound once a year or if you wax it at least twice a year your compounding days are over and it will hold a nice shine for a long time. To make it even better throw a coat of teflon wax sealer on top of your freshly buffed and waxed hulls and the shine will really last. I use the teflon on my power boat (i know wrong site to even mention that) every spring before splash down and she stays shiney all summer and the fish blood rinses right off.

I'm not much for these "magic" gelcoat restorers as in most cases it just hides the fact you have dull hulls underneath.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

poly glow is the real deal
comp tip looks great hulls alsoyou should have enough poly glow for about 5-6 cats