Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

While sailing, I heard a thud type sound and noticed the left hull moving side to side. It was only noticeable while going slower with less load on the hull. It appears now that I look more closely, with it on the trailer, that the shaft coming out of the hull is solid. The movement is inbetween the hull shaft and the front cross member corner piece socket on the bottom. Is this a common problem? If I repalce the corner piece will this likely go away or is it the top of the shaft being worn?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:31 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

You need to take the boat apart to find out.

It may be a broken corner casting. It may be a loose pylon shoe.

Like I said, you won't know until the boat is apart. It shouldn't be sailed again until you know what's going on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Common on older boats that are well used. I have the same problem. Although there was no thud sound. Just worn pylon to corner casting bolt holes. there are a few ways to fix this. If the wear is as bad as i think it is, you can check it out by removing the bolts in one side at a time and carefuly lifting the rail off of the pylon. Wiggle the one hull a bit and see if it lifts off easily. you'll probably find it comes off easy and the bolt hole is very worn. The bolts in my boat were already oversized. If yours are not, maybe that will work. Repairs range from epoxying the castings back on, to installing bushings and shimming, to making oak fillers for the pylons and redrilling the holes. If you are good with this kind of thing, it's just fun busy work. If your not, find someone who is. I'm gonna do mine this winter when i dont want to freeze my butt off in the ocean.