Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Removing Seized Screws
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Everyone,

I'm restoring a Hobie 18 boom that uses custom machined "clamps" to mount the mast rotation cleat and outhaul cleat to the top of the boom. A 12-24 stainless machine screw goes through the cleat into the clamp below. Of course, when I tried to remove the 1989 screw, it broke off and now I have the rest of the screw seized in the clamp. Pictures are below. Does anyone have a trick for getting these out? The screw is sticking out .2" of the bottom. The clamps are $10 each and it takes four, so I'm willing to put some work into getting them out.

Thanks,

Mark

Top where screw broke off

Bottom with screw sticking out

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Liquid wrench, vice grips, and a bench vice. Soak it in the liquid wrench for a few hours or days and then try to unscrew it. If you have a 1/4" of the screw sticking out, that should be plenty to grab onto. If that doesn't work, I think you're in for a trip to the Hobie dealer as I don't see any alternatives.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

poolemarkw :
As a last ditch, you could try heating the whole thing up with a torch carefully, not too hot, (glowing orange = bad). I used to restore old Porsches, and bunches of other sports cars as a hobby, and thats how I would get the rusty bolts out.
Do not let it cool quickly, slowly reduce the heat, and don't dunk it in water, it's safest to bury it in sand and let it cool very slowly.
Hope this helps.
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Heat was the trick! Holding the clamp with pliers, I used a propane torch to heat the aluminum around the broken screw on the top and bottom, then put the clamp in a vise. I used vise grips to grab the end of the broken screw and threaded it out. It was tight, but it came out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I realize you have solved the problem but I'd add an old man's trick for the next guy who's having the same situation. Get some "Gulf" wax or whatever brand is available in a canning section of your grocery store or perhaps a tea light candle from the wife's cupboard. Warm the part with an open flame (torch or lighter) or perhaps your oven for a short time. Then touch the wax to the exposed threads and don't be shy in allowing the wax to melt on to and into the seized part. Allow to cool to the point of being able to work with the part. You'll be amazed at how easily seized parts free up using this method. I've been doing this for 30 years and I've few situations where this with some torque didn't work.