Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HI All,

I have a 1980s H16, with a 17-20 inch long crack in the bottom of the hull. The crack is not that wide, only about 1/4 to 1/2 of a cm, but it leaks. For fixing it, I thought of the west marine expoxy, and a horse hypodermic needle for fitting it into the cracks. Do you have any suggestions about what epoxy to use, different ideas or anything

-Aman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Aman, you'll want to use vinylester resin, not epoxy resin, to match how the boat was constructed. http://www.uscomposites.com/polyesters.html

But I don't think resin alone is going to fix this long term. Where is the crack specifically? Is the crack right along the along the very bottom of the keel or on the side?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pics of the crack would help with getting good repair suggestions!
I would probably use a thickened epoxy as it will stick better to less than perfectly prepared surfaces. But you wont be able to gelcoat over it. Personally I am not too worried how the bottom of my boat looks just that its strong and water tight! :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

+1 on the pics.

Generally, however, if a crack is leaking, then its a structural issue, and should not be fixed with just thickened epoxy or vinylester. You need to repair the area with new glass to give it some structure. There have been writeups in the Hobie Hotline of how to do this, and numerous discussions on these forums.

Good luck!

Steve Novak

1990 Hobie 18SX #2077

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

aman wrote:
I have a 1980s H16, with a 17-20 inch long crack in the bottom of the hull.

Cracks in the bottom of a H16 hull usually mean one of two things- if the crack is on the very bottom of the hull, then you've worn through the bottom from dragging the hulls on the beach and you need a bottom job. Or, if the crack is on the side of the hull near the bottom and in the vicinity of the pylons, then your pylon shoe has likely broken free and needs to be re-connected to the inside of the hull.

The bottom job is a pretty straight forward repair. The pylon shoe repair is quite a bit more involved. In any case, neither of these jobs can be completed by simply "squirting epoxy into the crack". The hulls will need to be glassed, and in the case of the pylon shoe repair, you will need internal access to the hull.

A 17-20" long crack is a major issue and needs to be addressed properly. As others have said, pictures would be very helpful.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HI,

I will post pictures this weekend, because the boat is about ~40 mins from where I live.

The crack is on the bottom 2" or so of hull, I don't think a pylon shoe is loose, because the phylons dont sway. Is there any way to check?

Do you have suggestions for a glass agent?

-Aman