Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

All,

A couple of years ago I bought a new sail for my H17. Can't raise it because the bolt rope pops out of luff track near mast head. I read on Hobie Forum that solution is to install luff track update onto the Comp tip. Here's the problem: luff track update is a solid piece of metal (per prior posts, earlier versions of this might have been made off plastic). It doesn't seem like the new luff track can be installed without removing the mast head. I've tried to drill out the 6+ rivets shown in this picture:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/z ... directlink

... however, the drill will not budge through the rivets (there was one freak rivet where the drill popped through easily as expected). I tried a small drill bit thinking that using a smaller diameter would at least get the puncture started ... but the drill bit broke off inside the rivet. The post below makes it look like someone has managed to get the mast head off:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34716&start=0

Any help ideas about what to do here???

thanks!

Fleet 444

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The trick is to drill off just the "head" of the rivet. Use a drill from 1/4" up to 1/2" diameter to destroy the head of the rivet. Then use a hammer and punch to drive the remaining portion of the rivet into the mast. Once the rivets are all driven into the mast, you can pull off the stainless steel hook. Then use a hammer and a block of wood to carefully knock the head cap out of the mast. Take care when doing this as the fiberglass comptip is fairly thin and you can crack it if you use too much force.

Of course having a sharp set of drill bits and a decent hand drill makes all the difference. Also, be sure to lubricate the drill with a small amount of oil or at the very least some WD-40 as you drill out the SS rivets. Otherwise you will burn up your drill bits quickly.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh, I see. No wonder I was getting no where!

Thanks!

Fleet 444

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

Luff track updates are designed to snap onto the mast. You don't need to remove the head.

One side is milled down a fraction. You insert the full length side and then smack with a mallet towards the milled side.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)