Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got a free Holder 12 (really fun family boat!) that needs some work. The upper mast is fiberglass and disintegrating, shedding fiberglass all over the place in an itchy nightmare. I would buy a replacement if it weren't too expensive (I'm in western Massachusetts), or would be willing to try sealing it in some way to keep the fibers from going everywhere. I am new to boat repair, so don't know how challenging/worthwhile the repair would be. Any advice on the right way to repair it or a good place to buy a replacement is appreciated. I already have an email out to Midwest Sailing in Pinckney, MI, but would love somewhere closer by.

I'll post separately, but I also am looking for help with the following repairs:
1. my upper gudgeon (learned that word today!) got bent out of shape last summer from some reckless skippering by my brother. Had to take the screws off the gudgeon just to get the rudder off the boat! I tried to bend it back in shape, but no luck so far. I have found some generic gudgeons for sale online, but not the original ones, and I'm not sure if a generic set would work with the rudder hardware (trying to avoid changing that hardware too).

2. Hiking strap needs to be replaced - not sure what to use or how to go about this.

Thanks in advance for any tips,
Jeff J
Deerfield MA