Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paint the frame black?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just wondering if anyone thinks it would be possible to paint the frame or mast of an old H 14 black to make it look a bit newer/better?

Post subject: Paint
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:30 am 
Site Admin

Paint on aluminum would look really nice... till you start using it. It chips off too easily.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt is right. You may want to try "Krylon" name brand primer. Through trial and many errors, I've found that it works the best of everything I've tried. Goes on easy, smooth finish and reasonably durable. (after all, it is paint) If you try to paint over it, you'll ruin it. It looks very good just by itself. Know that I've only tried it on the mast and boom. I can't vouch for the frame.

Happy Sailing,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Before paint I would consider powder coating the front and rear cross bars. Sides have the carpet so no need.
Or for a more forgiving finish and cheaper I would go with a do it yourself truck bed liner product such as "herculean"...sold at auto zone...it comes in quarts and will remain flexible meaning it wont peel like paint by the constant expanding and contracting of the alum with temperature...thats why paint doenst stick very well to it.
Truck bed linner stuff will take the banging of the boom and other stuff without any marks + it will be satin just like the original black anodized alum...
It will also seal the alum completely encapsulating like rubber from salt water.

Thats what ill do in a couple of weeks if no other idea crosses my mind!
"Black spray on or roll on bed liner"

And its not a thick as u imagine...it can be quite thin a coat depending on how u apply

Any other ideas???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sorry its not "herculean" but Herculiner:
http://www.herculiner.com/stores.html

Check out marine applications:
http://www.herculiner.com/other_uses.html

There is also a similar product called "Ultra Tuff Coating" that I saw and read about a year ago on the boston whaler forum...
here it is:
http://www.ultratuff.net/utmindex.htm

Last edited by ALEXSAILS on Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I wonder if I can get something like that in Australia? I'll have to have a look around. Thanks for all the advice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello:

Have a look at this post:

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=3774

Personally I painted my clear mast the "cheap way" described in that post and as Matt says where there´s friction paint chips off, but I think it still looks better than before, if you say that you want to do the job on an old boat maybe "cheap way" is a good option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Try some stuff called Penetrol first. About $19 a can. I have heard it works Great. I am going to try it on my 17.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have used flat black Krylon and Rustoleum on my aluminum extrusions over the years. for about $5 you can get a new look each year. Yes, the paint does chip off in high wear spots, but you can easily repaint and get that new look in a matter of one evening... if it is that important to you. I would rub down the area you want to paint with acetone. This will help it adhere better.

I would avoid powder coating as it can be expensive since you have to find someone with an oven large enough to handle the long parts. Also, this will chip and will be harder to repair.

If you go with Herculiner or somthing similar, be careful on surface that mate to castings, blocks, trackt, etc. The material is thick and will interfere with mating surfaces.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would not paint the mast with the truck bedliner stuff. I don't think you would want that much weight aloft. Being in the car business I know that doing a full size pick up truck with the Rino Liner adds about 475 lbs to the truck. You would not think it weighs that much but it does. The Autozone stuff may be thinner and wiegh less but I don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sorry If u guys understood me wrong...I woudnt do the mast with any liner material...like Jack said...it will add to much weight. I have decided not to coat the crossmembers either as they are still in good shape..anodized black with some scratches.
The only spar Ill recoat will be the boom with powdercoat after I weld the not in use rivet holes. Of course it all depends on how expensive it would be...I have to find out this next week. If it turns out to be a hastle Ill just use sailing gear stickers over the smoothed out welds, Harken,RWO,etc.

This weekend Ill be recoating the hulls with gelcoat/duratec...Ive been repairing gudgeon plates, loose pylon and scratches for over a month now and finaly have it ready to spray.
After that it will be to re-rivet the mast step and drill for 5/8" pylon bolts.
And the list goes on....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My kid take the Krylon flat black and does a light spray on this mast when we get it out for spring. Makes it look like new, take 5 minutes, last all year and cost $4.

Post subject: Thought on powder coat
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Powder coating the mast is an option but I don't think you can powder coat non metalic objects, like the comptip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I dont think so either as the whole idea behind powdercoating is the electric charge that is run thru the metal that attracts the opposite charged powder to stick before baking

The comp tip I did with epoxy primer and automovite urethane jet black paint...came out sweet,, That was about two months ago ,,,sitting in the sun every day...no bubbles or blemishes...I know it will hold up well when in use.

Post subject: Flex
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Do you think when the comptip flexes that the paint might crack?