Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently acquired two 16's and one has the overhang of deck over the hulls filled in ( #2496 on hull "post"), and #2174 has no fg filler in this space. Is this a factory feature or owner modification, and which is better, or necessary for some reason? Also are the smaller hull post numbers an older boat, and what are the years of build? MR MILLER? thanks ,FYI I am using one set of amas for a Tremolino trimaran and the other for a Hobie 16, so am wondering if the aforementioned differences in the deck overhang would be better for one than the other?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:11 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Owner modification - uncertain as to why it would have been done. It really doesn't do anything except add weight.

Lower numbers on the pylons indicate an older boat, but determining the exact year from them is impossible. Hobie 16s were introduced in 1970 and had pylon serial numbers until the federally-mandated HINs started in 1973. Nobody remembers what pylon number Hobie Cat started with (a good guess is 1000). How many prototypes / pre-production models were made? You can see that this gets murky really fast.

One thing's for sure - they're either 1970, 1971 or 1972 models. :D

I'd use the filled in ones on the Tremelino - deck lip modifications like that are not class legal (not that you'd be racing a 45 year old boat) - but you never know.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Back in '01/2/3 my hard case situation was picking up old H14's and 16's, which were rotting in the backyards of so many Las Vegas homes. The boneyard full of these old boats still exists in a friend's large desert yard. A couple of the 16's had front starboard stantions stamped with numbers. One was about 1300s and another in the low 3000s. Both had sail numbers below 2000. A 14 is there that is stamped in the 1700's I think? For certain, one set of hulls comes from a Searchlight, Nevada resident who bought a post-production 14 with no numbers on the stantion or transom, but a 1967-68 California registration sticker which lays over a sihlouette of the previous years sticker, which was removed. The Woman who bought it from Hobie Alter and entourage witnessed the testing of this and a few other 14's on Lake Mohave, which at the Hobie 40th Sandy Banks informed me of. While I don't know her, she was described as an heiress of sorts and well off. One of the hulls is totally delaminated, while the other is intact. Have always fantasized about making the intact hull a trophy or some such nonsense.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

gordo, are any of these h-16 parts still good/available? I need a boom and set of sails, but doubt sails are there, or still usable? I'm in boulder city

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

JOEL! send me an email with your phone. [email protected]