Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: v1 to v2 GT?
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

new to forum, just picked up an older Outback with the v1 drive. Can I upgrade it to the new v2 GT? Would the cost be worth it? any and all info is greatly appreciated, thanks

Post subject: Re: v1 to v2 GT?
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

vyel8ers wrote:
Hello,

new to forum, just picked up an older Outback with the v1 drive. Can I upgrade it to the new v2 GT? Would the cost be worth it? any and all info is greatly appreciated, thanks

I did this and kept finding I need extra parts i needed. Odds are the shafts will need replacing even though they are not part of upgrade. Other things such as newer stronger pine would be recommended too.

Ultimately you could be up for well over half cost of a new drive. All I ended up keeping was original pedals and cranks, which were the older solid ones.

Would I do again? No. get a new drive with new warranty, and keep old one as a spare. Worse thing is I cracked drive well a few months later and got a new yak, so it was all a waste :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

that was one of my main concerns, older hull not being able to manage the stress of the v2 GT drive. I've heard of people cracking their hulls from this upgrade. maybe i'll just upgrade to the v2 without the GT

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

vyel8ers wrote:
that was one of my main concerns, older hull not being able to manage the stress of the v2 GT drive. I've heard of people cracking their hulls from this upgrade. maybe i'll just upgrade to the v2 without the GT

It was not GT it was the larger Turbo Fins and hulls in a range primarily between 2006-2008 due to a plastic supplier issue. Older and newer boats were not the same issue.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you get a new drive with ST fins rather than turbos, then down the track if you then update your hull you can swap the drives back, and sell the old hull with the old drive. Otherwise you will end up selling your old hull with the drive you just upgraded wasting your $.

Old hulls only have a limited life span, whether it cracks, or you simply want newer model.

The v2 and GT upgrades are based on stronger drive componentry for the former, and easier smoother effort for latter. As matt says actual power delivered is a factor of fin size.