Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Everyone,

I have an outfitter model... both my fishing partner (same model) and I have had the same experience of some wearing down of the bottom "point" of the stern of the hull from lifting the kayak up to our respective racks for transport.

I'm not sure if there was a bubble in my hull or a different phenomenon, but that bit of grinding has revealed a dimple in the hull that is very soft to the touch. That softness combined with poking my head in the rear storage portal to see that that spot is translucent lets me know that the hull is very thin there and at risk for a puncture.

I have a twofold question...one is simply recommended repairs (knowing that that point of the hull will take some abuse from loading it onto my rack)?

The other is whether or not that sounds like a hull defect that should be addressed in some other way, if it's a common occurrence, if I should contact Hobie directly about it, etc?

Thank you for any tips, insights, wisdom!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dont know if a manufacturing weakness could have made it more vulnerable, but the fix would need to be plastic welded reinforcement.

I avoid this by loading on backwards so nose is on ground which seems to be stronger. Ideally you could place something on ground such as rubber door mat.