Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently acquired a 1984 Hobie 16, and discovered after the 1st sail that there is damage to the gelcoat on the bottom of the starboard hull. The fiberglass seems to be intact, and it appears that a previous owner attempted a repair that didn't bond, and now it is separating. There are no soft spots.

Here is a link to pictures of the damage: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3bEFBe-qxmAQXNqUE9ITXpZRmM

I bought West System Epoxy Fiberglass Boat Repair kit, and then discovered that I can't seem to find gelcoat to match. A local boat repairman suggested I purchase a whole new hull, and paint it to match. Then I read that Hobie doesn't sell individual hulls.....

I have sunk a fair bit of cash into replacement parts (ie: all new shrouds, lines, mast base, mast step, trailer lights, etc), and am evaluating whether this damage is the "straw that breaks the camel's back." Has anyone else had experience with this sort of repair?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:37 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

This is why we advise people not to paint their boats . . .

This boat appears to have had most of its gel coat sanded off and it's been painted. It also appears that an old bottom job is coming off. Either that, or the hull is splitting (you didn't say if it was leaking) or a trailer damage repair is coming apart. Regardless, it looks nasty.

The first thing to do is to remove all the loose fiberglass and paint. Only then can you really assess whether it's worth repairing or not. It will look worse before it gets better.

If it's fiberglass, it can be fixed. It's just a question of time, money and how pretty you want the final product to be.