Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Main sail luff tear
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently started taking the boat out for the season and noticed a small fer near the lower batten cap in the luff. I was wondering if there is any recommendation of a quick fix?

Post subject: Re: Main sail luff tear
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rfstroud wrote:
I recently started taking the boat out for the season and noticed a small fer near the lower batten cap in the luff. I was wondering if there is any recommendation of a quick fix?

A quick fix (i.e., sail tape) is not recommended. There is too much load along the luff of the sail, particularly near batten caps for sail tape to be effective.

Hard to determine exactly how to go about fixing your damage without pictures, but generally speaking, you should be able to patch it with a piece of sail cloth which extends about an inch beyond the tear in all directions, held in position using double-sided tape and then sewn on. A small patch can usually be hand sewn on using approximate 1/4" zig zag stiches in about a half hour or so. If you have to remove the luff protector, that will add a little bit more time to the project. This will be a permanent fix.

sm