Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Freshening Wear Parts
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Forgive me for not looking too hard. My new to me '95 Hobie 17 is wanting to sail, but the trailer that came with it is taking up all of my consciousness to make it road-able enough to protect my investment. Is there a thread that addresses replacement of "wear parts" such as rudder bushings, o-rings, etc that one would need to know about to freshen up a 20 yrs+ Cat? It would be nice if there were a "kit" to purchase with assortment of recommended wear parts to replace. For instance, some bushings, etc may be missing and I wouldn't even realize it - tx-scow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:34 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

There's really not much that "wears out" on these boats, but some things will need replacing over time to insure safety and to keep things tight:

Standing rigging - if you've got original shrouds / forestay / bridle / trapezes - replace them (safety item)
Rudder pin bushings / rudder pins. Replace aluminum pins with stainless steel.
Rudder cams (make sure the system works - grease with white lithium grease on the plunger/cam, but not on the hook of the cam).
Tiller connectors - if you don't have the Hobie 20 style connectors, you may need to replace some of the plastic parts in the old system.
Pins and Rings - check pins for wear (especially in the standing rigging) and replace any bent-up rings.
Running rigging - replace any frayed or dry-rotted lines.

That's pretty much it. Make sure everything that's supposed to move gets a shot of lube (use McLube or silicone spray) and be vigilant about keeping sand and grit out of the main traveler and centerboard trunks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tx MB. dDoggone trailer "threw in" the deal keeping me landlocked. $300 in parts and counting. If they'd just send the right ones, that would help-
ttyl