Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: straighten a comp tip?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a newer H16 (2009) and the mast had a gentle bend in it. It looked like the mast was laying on its side on the tramp or something that only supported the middle, and left there in the sun for months or years. It was an even curve of only a few degrees.

My farmer friends rigged up an ingenious system, and we straightened the aluminum portion. We flexed the metal part of the mast under pressure, using a 2x4 to distribute the pressure at the bend point. The bend moved up the mast until it was gone. We think the metal part of the mast is real straight now. I can post a pic of how we did it if you want to see.

But we're pretty sure the composite tip has a slight bend in it. We did not try to straighten that much. I started to flex it but was afraid it would "green stick" fracture. Is there a way to straighten the comp tip using pressure? heat? Do fiber materials bend best with heavy loads, or light loads over long times? Or am I hoping for the impossible?

I can sail it fine now. It has mild differences close hauled on different tacks is all I can tell so far, I assume because the top of my square top sail isn't twisting off exactly the same in each direction and the luff shape is slightly different. I can live with it, but I want it perfect.

I always get great advice here from people who have lots of varied experience. Hoping someone has done something like this (with success).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The comptip is plastic. If it is held under load for an extended period, it will take a set. This happens all the time with windsurfing masts if the sails are left rigged for a long time, the mast will take a permenant bend. The solution is to take the mast out, spin it 180 degrees and re-rig. The mast will eventually go back.

I imagine the comptip would be the same way. The only question would be how much load to use and for how long. It would take some experimentation but it should work.

sm