Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cracked Hobie 16 Mast
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey All,

I have a Hobie 16 that had the mast bent which created a horizontal crack just above the tang during transportation. The crack is significant and the mast was not seaworthy at all. A quick solution was created by riveting two rectangular aluminum sheets on either side of the mast as braces. This seems to have worked well, as I've sailed the boat 5 times since the repair. It even capsized once and held together while being righted (I even over righted it and recapsized it, causing the mast ball to hit the water pretty hard, still held). I know that I should try to seal the crack to avoid water filling the mast while capsized, but my question is if anyone else has tried to make a more permanent repair to a type of crack like this?

My thoughts were that maybe someone can just straight up weld the crack, but I was also thinking it may be neat to see if anyone has tried to make a two-part mast before? Maybe I should just leave it. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Others have more knowledge than I.
The aluminum tubing (mast, cross bars etc) is anodized to make it harder and more durable.
If you weld the mast, the heat of the weld will weaken the mast.

I suggest you shop for a used mast and replace it ASAP.
While the mast will not fall down, you might suffer a break and thus lose the mainsail....
While the 'two plate' repair might work well, there can be some pretty strong stressors at work.

good luck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are plenty of extra Hobie 16 mast out there. If anyone needs one, I have two extras hanging from my fence.... :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

^^^^ agreed, get a replacement mast and/or a parts boat for cheap that has a good mast. There's a bunch out there and a good chance if you go to a few regattas someone can bring you a mast.
If your rigged one breaks it could tear your sails up or leave you stranded somewhere.....no good.

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the mast is cracked above the tang, you could simply cut off thr top of the mast and install a comptip (fiberglass mast tip).

Otherwise, do as others have suggested and find a replacement used mast. There’s no reason to mess around with a bandaid fix on your mast. It’s going to come back and bite you in the rear at some point by either breaking, filling up with water during a capsize, or causing some other headach that just isn’t worth it.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you everyone for the replies! I'm going to look for a used mast. I've already posted on here in the classifieds, and I will be doing so in other places. Unfortunately, I think finding a used mast nearby will be tougher than it sounds being that I am in SW Montana. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your "fix" is probably OK for a while but fatique will be an issue over time. A lot of masts today are designed to be pop riveted together since it is so much cheaper to ship segments than one long tube. It would be best to sleeve it with a segment of matching tube. It is important to use some adhesive at the join. I used Sikkaflex bedding compound. 3M makes a similar product. As others have said, though, it is pretty easy to find a used 16 mast but you will have to probably go get it from out of state and drag it back behind you on your trailer. Minnesota isn't that far away.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II