Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a small gash on a 1978 Hobie 16 near the bottom, amidships, on the outer float. About 3", probably not watertight.

Plan is to drill a few small holes above damage, and inject an ounce or two of Git Rot. Then cut away material on outer hull that is peeling. Sand to clean up area. Lay cloth (what weight? 8oz? one layer?). Cover with poly resin. Fill drill holes with Marine Tex? Do I need to cover repair with clear coat?

I am looking for as easy a fix as possible to get another 5 years out of the boat. Does not have to be pretty, just watertight and structurally sound.

Also have a few (approximately 1/8") circular chips, and cracks. Below water line. I think it's just the gel coat, but not sure? Maybe fill with Marine Tex?

Bottom repairs were done about 4 years ago by former owner. Ugly work, but it's been watertight. Looks like bondo, not sure?

I've done a bit of surfboard repair, but this will be my first go at boat repair. Any advice appreciated.

Also, What is a good product for cleaning the hulls? Is waxing recommended? Last year was first season hulls yellowed a bit.

How do I post pictures here? Pasted link below to Google+, where I have images.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMQWFtLCsCtYfprAWcYPoB4aQeBPFwvWUXN7BX2pTzIh8Q19A_hgj6u_pG3ILesgQ?key=enBPTm81ckZ2V2xKb2picUlJcDdzX1dyLTd3amp3

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is that the keel in your first two pictures? It looks like it has separated. If so, typical fix is to glass in a backing piece before adding layers of cloth to the keel.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It is the keel. I do not believe that it is split.

Previous owner kept it on a trailer one winter (w/ vinyl tramp on) poorly tied down. It blew off the rollers, and got pretty beat up. He did a quick repair with a one part marine epoxy. Something like Marine Tex, I think.

Not sure how I would glass in a backing piece?

Current plan is not to inject any Git Rot. I hope I can get away with cutting away damage, sanding, 3 layers of cloth, poly resin, sand. Then maybe cove with Marine Tex and sand smooth?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

"The Bottom Job - This Old Hobie" by Rick Buchanan on pages 12 & 13 of the Sept/Oct 2008 Hotline.

http://www.w1dm.com/projects/hotline/08-09-10%20HOTLINE.pdf

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The damaged area looks to be below where the foam sandwich sides are. The keels are mainly glass built up . I would think you could remove the loose edges and whatever epoxy you can . Rebuild the area with layers of glass and polyester resin. finish with gelcoat. Not sure why people believe in marine tex?

84 yellow hulls hobie 16 Yellow Nationals
plus a few extras that I'm restoring

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Marine tex is great stuff for hobie 18 dagger boards and such. It is like bondo on expensive steroids. However polyester resin does not stick to epoxy (marine tex=epoxy, bondo=polyester), so you should avoid using it in areas that you might later want to apply gel coat or polyester resin to.

I recommend that you sand off all the gel coat and marine tex in the repair area, then repair with polyester resin and woven glass. If you are working with 8oz you will probably want at least 3 ply.

Tim was right, go here for instructions: http://www.w1dm.com/projects/hotline/08-09-10%20HOTLINE.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The damage was not as bad as I thought. I cut away the loose material, and sanded it down. I cleaned both keel edges with acetone. Then I simply applied Marine Tex two part epoxy putty. One week later, I sanded it smooth. It doesn't look pretty, but the keels are water tight and smooth. Hulls are from 1978, and have numerous old epoxy repairs. Seems like it would have been a lot of work to do a proper gel coat repair.

I forgot to take pictures, until after stepping the mast. Tipped the boat and snapped a few, but they are not the best.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMHwFAdcyBNEam6Yt-DJ2fsJJgY8_ebXT6LLnatn73mgc6faygiO3cTs-4ZE-7L8g?key=dGRPeDk1QlU3djRqc0RWTXMtY2lITzZkN3FMekRn