Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast base repair
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is there a manual for replacing the mast base? My base cracked and I demasted in the parking lot.

Post subject: Re: Mast base repair
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Replacing the mast base is pretty straight forward.

Drill off the heads of the rivets at the bottom of the mast that hold the base to the mast extrusion. A 1/4” diameter drill bit usually works well. Make sure it is a sharp bit and only remove the heads of the rivets.

Use a 1/8 - 3/16” diameter punch and hammer to drive the remaining rivet shanks into the mast.

Slide the mast base out of the mast. You may need to use a large flat blade screw driver and hammer to carefully tap the base out.

Clean any sealant/residue from the inside of the mast.

Place a light bead of silicone caulk around the flange of the new mast base and install the base into the mast. You may need to tap it in lightly with a hammer/mallet.

If the new mast base isn’t drilled for rivets, use the existing holes in the mast as a guide and drill 3/16” diameter holes into the base for rivets.

Install 3/16” diameter stainless steel rivets to secure the base to the mast. Place a small dab of silicone on the rivets before installing and over the top of each rivet after it’s installed. Note you will need a powerful rivet gun to pop stainless rivets.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My old one had only two rivets. Also the mast ripped out on the other side. See these pictures:https://instagram.com/p/Bl_OxXtFj8f/
I would rather not cut the bottom 1/2 inch off my mast to have a clean start at the rivet area. Do you think it would be ok with rivets around the old ripped whole?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

looks like had been broke for a while (doesn't look shiny and fresh) I'm far from expert but I don't see why you couldn't put rivets on each side. the way I see it it's mostly compression load on the base side load should be held from the lip the rivets just hold it in place for raising ?

H18

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pretty common failure mode on older boats. Either replace the base or drill new holes in the mast/old base and put in fresh 3/16” stainless rivets. Either way, I would put four rivets into the base instead of two.

sm