Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought an inexpensive Hobie 14 this summer that I keep on a lake. The port hull has been taking on water. I did a "bubble test" and found some bubbles coming out of a 1/2 inch hairline crack just under the lip that I wouldn't have noticed if it weren't for the bubbles; I also found some bubbles coming from the back of the rear pylon where it joins the hull. Neither looks like a major source of leak but I want to fix them (the drainplugs look ok but are both missing are O rings, so I just ordered a couple on line). These seem like small jobs - what are suggestions for fixing them?

Also, vent tube in the front pylon of the starboard hull is damaged and plugged up (it didn't bubble when I did my bubble test); is this a simple matter of just removing and replacing the foam and vent tube? Looks like I can buy replacement parts on line. I want to do this if I fix the other leaks to make sure that there is appropriate venting.

Also, there are lots of blisters on the sides of the hulls, I am not concerned about the cosmetic aspect, there are no soft spots, can I just ignore these? I can see how to fix these from other postings, but is it really worth the time and work?

Finally, the bottoms are somewhat beaten up, there are a couple of cracks but no leaks. What is the indication for a "bottom job"?

I wish I could post pictures to accompany my questions but I don't see that I can.

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Newbie,
If the drain plugs didn't have O-rings, that was quite likely the reason the water was getting in.
WRT repairing the hairline crack and the leak at the pylon, just get marine grade caulk and apply it to the areas.

Fixing the vent tube is pretty straightforward, as you describe it.

WRT the bottom job, it is up to you if you want to put the time and $$$ in. Its always nice to have the peace of mind that the hull bottoms are solid, but you could always keep sailing until you need to fix them due to a leak.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fiberglass is easy to work with.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fiberglass is easy to work with. There are many books and guides available in addition to the hobie cat forums.Wear a face mask and eye protection and work in warm moderate temperatures. These initial rules are important