Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re-glue Hulls
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I need to re-glue my hobie 16 hulls. I am looking for some tips on what kind of adhesive to use and while it is drying how to make sure the hulls glue and set straight? Any tips would be much appreciated

Post subject: Re: Re-glue Hulls
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

West six-10 thickened epoxy adhesive. It comes with a self-mixing nozzle and dispenses just like a tube of caulk.

First thing I would do would be to measure the boat before glueing to see if it is square and un-twisted.

Mask off the pylons and crossbars, disassemble the boat and clean all bond surfaces. You can apply release agent (wax) to the inside of the corner castings to aid with future disassembly. Apply adhesive to the ends of the crossbars and to the pylons. Put the frame back together and place rivets into the castings (without pulling them) to ensure the holes are aligned. Install and lace the tramp. Measure the diagonal from each bow to opposite stern and use your mainsheet to pull the boat into square if it is out by more than 1/8” or so. Do this with the boat on a level surface. You can also take measurements from bow to ground and stern to ground to make sure the frame isn’t twisted. Let the epoxy cure 24 hours at least depending on ambient temp. Pull the rivets in the corner castings.

sm