Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H18 repair questions
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, I think my other post got deleted when I tried to edit the photos links

I bought an older H18 for cheap, I've done some fiberglass proto-typing and repairs on cars and surf boards, but I have a couple questions about this boat, mainly the hull layup and recommendations for getting access.

It came from Maryland, hulls are surprisingly solid, soft spots on the rear most decks, the rest is faded but great, with the exception of what's pictures below from a fallen tree branch during Florence (may be older?). The hull had a few inches of water inside, seemed like Rain water. The outside hull has some cracking of the gelcoat, top deck is obviously crunched and delaminated, as well as the interior as you can see in the pictures.

My idea so far is to cut the damaged portion of the deck (12" long and half the deck width), grind and recover the cracked seam/deck joint (which runs to my hand visible from the one topside photo about 30"), then re-lay the delaminated interior and probably exterior of the damage to the lower hull, then patch the deck back down (possibly trying to salvage the outer skin of the deck so it somewhat matches). I have no illusions about racing, having the boat 100 years, or selling it or attempting to cross the atlantic. I'd like to spend a summer where I am currently stuck for work sailing cheaply off the beach, maybe take it home to teach my kids in NC, and that's about it.

I'd like advice on how anyone recommends repairing it.

1. There is an access cover that allows me to reach the damage inside, but I thought if the deck was as damaged as it is might as well cut it and exploit the more direct access?

2. Lay up schedule and recommendation for weave and weight of mat (not familiar with these at all)

Thanks, I do appreciate any advice. This is the first summer I've had time for a hobby since 9/11

Post subject: Re: H18 repair questions
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My advice is to look for less damaged hulls... Decent condition hulls (no soft spots or structural damage) often sell for <$200. An incomplete H18 will sell for $300-500.

If you really want to have a go at fixing the hulls:
You will spend ~150-300 on materials repairing this damage.
Resin
Glass
Core Material
Access Hatch
Consumeables (abrasives, cutters, etc)

Layup Schedule:
Hobie used bi-axial woven fiberglass, not chopped mat. You should too. As you are cutting away the damaged areas measure the thickness of the glass layer on each side of the foam core. Add this much back when you rebuild. Especially on the insides of the hulls the glass thickness can be a bit inconsistent. Measure in a few areas, and error on the high side of average.

While you are at it, repair those soft spots. Soft spots are easy to fix.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will definiteoy be using biaxial cloth, not CSM ect. Just didn't know if anyone could tell me the typical layup so I wasn't guessing or getting it wrong.

I have another project to replace the transom on an old glastron jet boat, so I'll be ordering materials for that anyway. This project will make a good warm up I think.

Does anyone have any opinion on adding Kevlar rub strips to the keep while I at it? Even just on the leading edges if I'm going to be reaching it quite a bit in an area with soft sand but a shore break?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

S-Glass will probably provide better abrasion resistance than Kevlar. There are specialty polymer fibers that are also intended for this high wear role.