Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sail Repair Question
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a small hole (1/8" diameter) in my jib near the tack on my Hobie 16. The sails are the original blue Hawaiian pattern and I'd like to extend the life of them for as long as possible. The hole doesn't appear to be spreading but i and I would prefer to patch it with sail cloth, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find a matching dye color for the darker blue where the hole is in either non adhesive or adhesive backed Dacron, so my question(s) is(are) this...

Would using tear-aid adhesive patches (clear) https://www.tear-aid.com/ be a reasonably long term solution for repairing a hole in sails? Would stitching the patch on make a difference? Is there a clear/see through alternative I haven't considered? Did I just miss a corner of the internet that has exactly the color of sailcloth I need?

Post subject: Re: Sail Repair Question
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Matching sail cloth can be tough sometimes. If you can't-embrace the patch and go with something like insignia cloth and put a shape or number, maybe??? Sailrite seems to be a very good source for do-it-yourself...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

And what about using tear-aid as a "permanent" patch?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tearaid is unlikely to have the strength or permenancy required for an effective repair.

I question whether or not a 1/8” diameter hole even needs any repair. 1/8” holes are punched all over the sail for things like rivets used to install batten protectors and reinforcing plates. Anyway, if you’re serious about repairing, then do it right with a sewn on Dacron patch. Given the size of the hole, you’re only looking at a 1” to 1-1/2” patch. It can be sewn on by hand and will be virtually un-noticeable.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

After some consideration, I've decided that the spot of the hole is EXACTLY where I need some stick on telltales for my jib. Now if anyone asks about the low position of my telltales, I'll just tell them that an old salt taught me some deep magic of sail shape that most don't know.

When the trend catches on and you see other boats with an unusually low telltale position on their jib, know that the idea started here and it had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with my 30 year old blown out sails looking like swiss cheese, but rather I am a master of physics and sail shape.

Sail on brethren.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

And...THATS how we do it!

Don't over think it!

Sail on...