Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cracked rudder tops
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Was cleaning the boat yesterday (that'll teach me) and put some light pressure on the tiller and it just broke away from the rudder. The rear part of the rudder top, above and behind the tiller bolt hole, just broke away. There are plenty of ancient rudders lying around here in the OBX but they wouldn't be drilled right for my adjustable castings, so I trimmed the whole rudder top down by about 1.5" and redrilled holes. You can see the crescent-shaped part that broke off.

Didn't lose that much length.

Unfortunately the other side has cracks in the same place, so I will either be repeating this repair in the near future or shopping for new rudders.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

Post subject: Re: Cracked rudder tops
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So it seems that I probably meant to fix that other cracked one when I got home, and of course totally forgot. Sailed the rest of the '19 vacation, all of the '20, '21 and '22 vacations, and then yesterday I was out for a solo cruise and when the rudder kicked up on a shallow spot it broke out that same back part, on the crack lines that I showed from 2019.

I took it next door to Hatteras Watersports to borrow a saw and drill, and the bottom line is that while I was at the beach with my family the owner just fixed it on his own using my other cut-down one as a template. Looks beautiful. I'm back in business. Didn't even have the chance to take a photo.

While I'm doing shout-outs about rudders, I can't neglect to mention that last year as I was leaving the beach I stopped at the current OBX fiberglass Hobie dealer to buy a new main halyard and scored a nice set of 1st-gen EPOs from Hardy. It's actually deliberate that I don't have them with me, because I intend them to be my deep-water rudders. No sense tearing up EPOs on the sand bars on the Pamlico Sound.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages