Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Broke a Trapeze handle, and am looking at my options ... I figured I'd eventually need a swaging tool, and now may be that time. As far as hand tools, does anyone have guidance or a strong opinion on a plier/bolt-cutter style nicompress tool vs. the Swage-It (wrenched-down) hand tool?

Are either/both appropriate for the lower end of a trapeze? (Because if they aren't discovering that later would kinda suck!)

What are the odds I can reuse the thimble -- cutting away the current collar? (Trying not to shorten the wire.)

Or am I over-thinking this?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:12 pm 
Site Admin

Both work... The wrench one is time consuming is all. But small and conveniently fits in a tool box.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks ... All things being equal, I can see the smaller tool being with me when it is needed more often than the larger one. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The bolt cutter style tool, you really need either a second person or a bench vice to assist with crimping the sleeve. It is very tricky to pull all of the slack out of the cable and keep everything aligned solo. If you can put the tool in a bench vice it makes things a lot easier. Just something else to consider.

Regarding reusing the thimble, that should not be a problem as long as you’re careful cutting off the old swage. A dremel tool with a cut off wheel works well for this.

On another note, we have replaced trap handles by just using a piece of PVC pipe. Cut a slot half way through the middle of the pipe so it can slip over the wire. Then pass a piece of wood or thin metal inside the pipe and behind the wire so it can’t come back out of the slot. Secure the piece of wood/metal to the PVC using a screw or rivet so it doesn’t come out. Repaired the handles on our H20 like this and it lasted for many years.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A suggestion - ask at your local Hobie dealer for the 'screw on' aluminum handles, the ones covered in neoprene.
Easy to install, and the 'feel' is much better.

Then cut away the broken plastic.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the tips. I have an order on the way with the tool and the screw-on handle (as well as replacement handles) for once I get good with the tool (and for the parts box.) But I also like the idea of the PVC -- I may make a set to keep in the parts box as additional quick replacements.

Thanks for the tips, guys!