Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Which one are better ,more durable easier to tow with? Give me all good and bad. Cradles -no cradles? Resistance to puncture, pressure hold, new or used?

Thanks for all comments

Cezar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aside from the obvious, perhaps you could help us out by giving us the conditions you plan to use them. Trailering or mostly beached? Is space for storage or transport an issue? Is money an object?

Post subject: wheels
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I keep my Getaway on the beach- just bought it. Since I don't know all the questions yet I was hoping for any suggestions. Let's just say you don't know anything about it and would like to know as much as possible.
There are plenty of other Cat Trax on the beach that belong to people I can borrow from but some of them are unevely inflated, beat up. My concern is that I wil damage one of them and will end up paying for it anyway. That is why I consider buying my own.
The CadKat info shows that you can run the cable through the wheel spikes and lock it- mine have numeric lock on it. What is the space between them. Will it allow the lock to go through it ?
Is it easier to move the boat on the sand using CadKat or CatTrax or the same ? What is the recommended pressure in those tires?
I left another post asking about cradles and answer was I don't need them unless the boat will rest on them. Does it mean that boats shouldn't sit flat on the sand or grass?
As you see the more I think about it the more questions I have- some of them probably put a smile on your face But I just want to educate myself before spending $500+.

Post subject: Trax
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:44 am 
Site Admin

Not all trax will fit the Getaway as the space between the hulls is more narrow. YOu have to adjust for the boat. I think the Cadkat and Cat Trax are very similar. Both have pneumatic tires. Cad Kat comes with cradles. The cradles can make it easier to move as the hull does not slip on them as easily as just the cross beam.

We do not recommend leaving rotomolded boats on cat wheels without a cradle as the bar can indent the keel. You can leave the boat on the ground, no problem.

We also recommend double rollers on trailers or cradles for the same reason.

Tire pressure? Not sure. Harder over hard surfaces, softer over soft surfaces.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Re: wheels
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cezar wrote:
The CadKat info shows that you can run the cable through the wheel spikes and lock it- mine have numeric lock on it. What is the space between them. Will it allow the lock to go through it ?

I eyeballed the space in my CatKat wheels and found the space to be about 1 inch at the widest. So you'll need a narrow cable. I think the idea of locking up the wheels is to keep honest people honest rather than to deter determined thieves.

cezar wrote:
Is it easier to move the boat on the sand using CadKat or CatTrax or the same ?

About the same.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We have the Cat Trax from Florida Sailcraft. The kit instructions have you mark holes to drill after holding cradles up to hulls while partially lowered from your trailer (presumably on the beach or grass). I just worked a series of measurements, and tried to drill as precisely as possible.

The axle is 93" long. The centerline to centerline distance between Getaway hulls at base is 78" (for H16 I think it's 82"). The distance between the two holes for each cradle is 5". Therefore, measure off 5" and 10" from each end, and on the top, where there is a predrilled hole in the axle at 0.5" and 16.5", use the center of these holes to identify where to mark. Be sure to tap the drill point with a nail before drilling straight down with a 5/16" cobalt bit. I don't have a drill press, so rotated the axle on my sawhorse, and did the same measurements on what seemed to be topmost curvature. It doesn't work great to try to drill all the way through from one side, because you invariably cant the bit trying to drill down through the inside wall to get through. Hardware bolts and locking nuts mounted fine. You'll probably want to drill the cradle outerm rims also, 1/2" in from edge, using 7/16" bit, to accommodate the 3/8" line that passes from the axle outer hole (yes, you need to enlarge the hole with the 7/16" bit) and then through your new cradle hole, so that you can wrap this around your shroud, once you've pushed the boat back from your trailer's back rollers enough to cinch up the Cat Trax at your shroud (rough center of gravity for balancing the boat as you transport into the water.