Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I need to make a repair to a soft-spot (delamination) on the starboard (right) hull of my Hobie 18 located just in front of the forward cross bar. Bothe the Hobie delamination fix procedure http://www.hobiecat.com/support/tech/delam.html and the old “On The Wireâ€

Sail#4854

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

:shock: Ok, So I moved forward with the delamination repair using to information I had on hand. I followed the instruction in the the old “On The Wireâ€

Sail#4854

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey, thanks for posting your results. I'm sure I'll have to tackle this sooner or later and your description was right on. Were you able to do this without drilling the textured area on the decks? I've gone to great lengths to try and preserve mine and hate the idea I might have to drill holes on that section eventually. Not so much the holes but the impending mess I'm sure I'll make with the epoxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thankfully my soft spot (delamination area) was limited to the area between the texture on the deck. 1/8" diameter holes are small and hardly noticable after using the gel coat patch. Masking the entire area with tape prevented me from getting epoxy anywhere on the outside of the hulls. fitting the syrine tip to fit the 1/8" hole limited excess epoxy mess and seals the injection point to force epoxy into the voids. Getting the masking tape goo off the deck is a differant story. :wink: I used Goo Gone (after the resin had time to cure over night) to remove the masking tape glue.

If I had to choose between a few 1/8" hole patchs or a broken hull ......

It's an old boat, but it's irreplaceable (until Hobie desides to re-start production of the HC-18's in the US). :lol: Wishfull thinking.

Thanks for the input, Hope you never have to do this repair. Don't stand on the deck surfaces if you can avoid it.

Keep 'em sailing.

Sail#4854