Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I purchased a used Hobie Roller furler and am not quite sure how to rig it on my H16. I currently use a Aussie Jib Halyard to raise the Jib. I really rely on the Aussie Halyard to tension the whole rig and to help solo raise the mast.

Can anyone explain or diagram how the Hobie roller furler is supposed to be set up? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:14 am 
Site Admin

Roller furler...

You have to use a swivel at the top of the jib. I suppose it is possible to also use a halyard system, but the furler systems usually have you step the mast with the jib in place. The problem is the H16 forestay. It would be in the way a bit.

What other rigging is in question?

The basic furler operation?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Furling Operation
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My jib furler is the Hobie model, just like the sketch on P.16 in the current parts catalog.

I don't understand the "U" shaped cable in that sketch, or the cable that goes across the top of the pulley.

I have two cables, one zips into the luff of the jib Which I presume is the one that goes from the lower bridle furler thru the sail and attaches at the bottom of the block. The other is the one that runs around the block. I'm not sure what that "U" shaped is or what it does?

Also, surely that little line that rolls up in the furler isn't used to reef in the sail?

Sorry for the basic questions, but the only furlers I've used were rigged and ready to go on mono-hulls, and used a good sized line running all the way back to the cockpit.

Are there printed instructions that come with the new Hobie furlers? This one came from Ebay, and is probably 10 years old.

As always - thanks Matt.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've got the jib and furling pieces in place with my Aussie Halyard. All works as it seems it should. My question is what about the forestay?

I've got it attached to the top of the mast, but unsure about where to attach it at the bridle? Everything above the bridle wires is spinning when I furl the jib.

If I don't attach it to the bridle in some way, my mast is held up with just the tenstion on the jib halyard If somehow that was released while sailing, the mast crashes down?

Help is much apprecaited, going out on the water Saturday. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Seems as though you will have to hold the forestay away from the luff of the jib enough that it will not interfere with furling. Maybe you could take a thin bungee, tie a loop in it that captures the forestay then tie the other end to the bridle loop on one or the other bows. Then the fattest part that furls will be where the forestay is held away the most.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

From my experience it sounds like you have an h18 jib, since it has a zipper. I am not aware that the h16 furling jib has a zipper on it.

I have the instructions for the h16 furler, but it is printed, so I will try to describe it along with the print on on thstructions.

1. If it is the hobie furler, you must have the special bridle wires that are made for the furler. I believe they have roller swaged ends, (small one piece metal ends), in comparison to the normal bridle wires that have hydraulic swaged ends, (big loop). (The harken furler uses the regular bridle wires)

2. remove your existing halyard.

3. install your existing 10 hole adjuster with a strong shackle to your mast tang.

4. Install the pigtail with the swivel to the 10 hole adjuster with a clevis pin and ring ding. Swivel should be down and 10 hole adjuster up. the adjuster will allow for mast rake. Tighten mast tang shackle and secure with safety wire!

5.attach the new bridle wire to the furler, the bridle wire attachment points are on the TOP of the hobie furler. (Drum goes below the bridle wires) (on the harken furler the drum goes above the bridle wires)

6.Mount a V cam cleat about 6 inches from the mast step on the front crossbar (set up to cleat from the drum, V toward the tramp). Pass one end of the furler line through the cleat and tie off to the tramp lace line.
(Harken furler goes above the bridle wires-harken imprint up)

7. Fasten the head of the jib to the pigtail swivel using your existing jib tack shackle from the 10 hole adjuster, or you can put on a new shackle. Tighten shackle with pliers.

8.The jib luff wire is the forestay when using the roller furler jib.

9. Step your mast then attach the jib tack to the top of the furler drum using a clevis pin and ring ding. (If the jib tack does not reach the top of the drum then you will need to add another 10 hole adjuster to the jib tack).

10.Pass one end of the furler line from the inside to the outside to the outside of the small hole in the furler, (bottom onhobie furler, top hole on harken furler). tie a small stopper knot then wind the furler line on the drum by spinning the furler in a clock wise direction when looking from the the top down. when the furler is wound the, the jib should be unwound.

11.When you take the mast down it is easier to leave the furler line attached to the tramp. if you dont the next time you step your mast you will have to do more work rewinding the furler and it may make the furler not work as well.

I included the instructions for the harken furler as well, the differences for the harken furler are in italics.

I hope this helps!!
Good Luck!!

John G 1980 H16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

John:
Wow! THANK YOU for the well written clear instructions! You are dead right. First it is a Harken furler, so thanks for covering the differences between the two.

Second, it does seem it must be a H18 Jib and furler, because the jib luff wire is about a foot longer than my old H16 wire. That certainly confused me.

Since the H18 Jib won't work on my 16, and I cant change the wire in the H18 jib without drilling out the rivets, I came up with Plan B. I removed the battens from my H16 jib, and am planning on using it. I know the catalog says you need to get a special cut H16 jib on a furler, but It seems like this might work? Any thoughts on that?

I'll go home tonight and re-rig as per your great directions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bruce, You might try to connect the pigtail all the way to the top of the 10 hole adjuster to take up the slack, and you might also try to get a shorter pigtail to shorten the length. A H14 furler pigtail/with swivel possibly?
Good Luck!
John G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Put the h18 jib for sale on the For sale area of the forum, someone might be able to use it.

There was a h16 furling jib for sail on the For Sale section of the classifieds area on this site. I'm am not sure if it is still for sale or not.

If you use your regular jib without recutting it the leach will luff and flutter. If you have someone in your area it might be worth the cost of recuttting, but if the jib is old it probably will not be worth the cost.
You also might keep an eye on Ebay.
John G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

use your h16 jib for now ... when you point up wind the flapping around of the leach may bother you...
see this post....
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... ght=furler