Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just bought a used pre-1987 Hobie Cat 18 (not sure what year). The mast step casting was chewed up and after removing it for inspection, the crossbar has cracks!! The cracks appear across the bolt hole and the 2 rivet holes (probably the result of a previous bad repair job).

My main concern is that I need to remove the crossbar in order to repair (alluminum solder) the cracks at a shop. Any precautions I should be aware of when doing this? Any suggestions about this repair would be appreciated.

Thanks ;-)

Post subject: Welding?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:48 pm 
Site Admin

I can't advise you about welding. I have heard is is difficult due to the stresses. Cracks in welds are a common result.

If the cracks were within the original casting area, it is possible that the new one (larger foot-print and more rivets) may be enough to support the area. The cracks are likely from twisting the crossbar during normal sailing over time. Possibly due to a loose striker rod as well.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Re: Welding?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
If the cracks were within the original casting area, it is possible that the new one (larger foot-print and more rivets) may be enough to support the area.

Yes, the cracks are within the original casting area. I suspect the previous owner was not aware of the cracks and sailed it like this.
Do you mean that the newer casting (i.e. part for a newer HC 18 ) is larger?? Will this install on an older HC 18??