Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Batten cap adhesive??
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What is the best adhesive to attach (Hobie and Trentech) leach and luff batten caps to fiberglass battens?

Years ago there used to be some great stuff that would bond to anything called Pliobond, but I haven't seen it in years.

'86 H16, Sail #89057

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

Pretty sure we just use a spray on adhesive. The stuff was similar to Spray Mount used in graphics applications.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I attached mine with a big blob of clear silicone on the end of each batten, then pushed them on and wiped off the excess. Seems to hold them on pretty well.

On a side note. When I bought my boat, two of my battens had new hobie caps on them and the rest had no caps.....yea....I know......

I cheaped out and put the Trentec caps on them and don't think they look as durable as the hobie ones. We shall see. I broke on of the tentec caps in two trying to put it on a batten that I was too lazy to sand the old glue off of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Reviving the thread -

Any other opinions? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A small amount of superglue should do the trick.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ottos wrote:
Reviving the thread -

Any other opinions? :?:
Quote:
I cheaped out and put the Trentec caps on them and don't think they look as durable as the hobie ones. We shall see. I broke on of the tentec caps in two trying to put it on a batten that I was too lazy to sand the old glue off of.
I use the Hobie caps (w/two holes) so I can tie a keeper knot in the tail of the line. Then I use NO adhesive. If I ever break a cap I don't have to fiddle with removing the remaining (superglued!?!) broken piece, or sanding adhesive, off the batten. Glueing the caps (like I used to do) resulted in many a batten being lost in the drink before I noticed them dangling half way out the pocket. Had a false sense of security...hey, the cap's glued on, right? Well, that doesn't keep the batten or the cap attached to the sail

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do you use luff caps on the main battens?

'86 H16, Sail #89057

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie mainsail battens are intended to be used with a luff cap as well as a leech cap (adjustment). If the luff end cap isn't firmly attached to the batten, you run the risk of having it come off inside the batten pocket if you ever have to remove a batten. A small amount of super glue does a good job of holding the cap on but you can still knock the cap off the end (with a block of wood and a hammer or work it loose with pliers) if you ever need to. It's not a bad idea to glue the leech cap on as well although not totally necessary.

After setting the batten tension and locking the line in the cleat, I always pass the line back under itself and pull it snug so it can't loosen. I've never had a problem when securing the battens this way. I would not suggest relying on just the cleat to hold the line. Also, make sure you put enough tension on the batten (remove the wrinkles) so it is held snugly in the sail.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I started this thread because I picked up an older sail and had to get new caps. Unfortunately, as you say, the luff caps are a pain to remove from inside the pocket/protectors if they come off (a few have done so when removing a batten) so that is why I was looking for a better adhesive. I guess I'll try super glue.

'86 H16, Sail #89057

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a small amount of superglue on the luff and nothing (except the stopper knot ala JEaton) on the leech. Both stay on, and leech is easy to get off for batten removal or cap replacement.

I've also found it helps to use good quality dacron line of the appropriate (don't know off hand what that is) diameter for the batten ties. Holds up well and grips in the jam cleat very well. I don't even the snug the line back under itself (ala srm). I know...I should...but I haven't had problems since I've been using the dacron line.

Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I used some of that E6000 epoxy type silicone and once there was proper set up time it seemed to harden just fine and I have not had any issues with the caps. Pretty inexpensive for a tube and you can buy it at most department or hardware type stores.