Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

okay, 3 of the screws holding on to the rudder pin plate were seized up and I couldn't get them out of the Transom. So, I ended up grinding the heads to get the plate off, then vice grips to "unscrew them" well, the first was clockwork. Came right out, the other 2 broke just below the gel coat. So, now I don't have the plate installed to hole my rudder pin, and I want to go sailing tomorrow. What do I do? I don't even know the pieces of the puzzle on this one. how is the transom manufactured? I tried drilling them out, smallest, then smaller then small, then the drill bit turned out and started digging. Now what? I want to get these out so I can put new ones in and get going...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Andrew...I sent a reply to you on how the transom is constructed inside. BTW, you forgot the photos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=9666

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/showfla ... art=1&vc=1

http://www.thebeachcats.com/index.php?m ... emId=10731

Jerome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for all the replies. What's funny is in all my searching those were the 3 threads I found that helped me with my answer. My solution ended up being:

I drilled slightly to the side of 1 of the screws, because in the process of trying to drill it out, I got off center and only drilled it half out... And I tapped that hole to 1/4" x 20 which is what the other 2 good holes were. I imagine they were replaced a while ago and the 2 were left because they were seized. The other screw that broke off I couldn't do anything with, so I just reinstalled my gudgeon with 3 screws. Sailed great all weekend. I should mention it was the upper 2 screws on the lower gudgeon. I'm not sure I would have been as trusting had they been the lower 2. I will be installing the 1 piece when I feel I need to spend $40 for looks I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have had this problem many times before. Just use heelie coils and new stainless steel bolts. No more problems at all !!!!!