It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stress Repair How-To
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:59 am 
Site Admin

Roadrunner offered this review of plastic adhesives and repairs:

This is about two things:
1. New PE adhesive that is amazing
2. How-To reinforce or repair cracked cam columns on older Mirage Drive Hobies.

The product is Loctite 3035, an improved replacement for Loctite 3030.
This has a 1:1 ratio, much easier to mix, and apparently a better formula. I had excellent results with the former so was excited to try out this product.

Here's the good news. You would surely destroy your boat before this glue would fail as a bond. Here after making a repair, I smeared a sample on two unprepped, uncleaned Hobie PE color disks, let it set for 2 days and tried to split them with a chisel. Here's the result:
As you can see, the discs deformed but I couldn't split them even driving the chisel all the way through! This stuff is good! Characteristics -- not runny, very fast work time (4 minutes), use outdoors or well ventilated area.

The bad news is that it costs about $45 US and you may have to order it from an industrial supplier or Amazon.

Now for the How-To reinforce or repair cam columns.

All 2008 and older Hobie Mirage boats used a cam lock for the Drive and there was a lot of stress placed on the cam columns with the arrival of Turbofins in 2006. Many who own or buy older Hobies used are unaware of this problem until there is a break in the columns, since it is not easily visible.

I have successfully repaired the columns before with Scotchweld DP 8010, but you can see it looks rather messy (which it was):

Yakaholic proposed using PVC pipe clamshelled around the columns, so this what we're doing this time. Here's a small crack developing that we are repairing (will actually do both sides).

Materials:
--Epoxy (Loctite 3035)
--plunger with depth marks to meter equally both epoxy parts
--stir stick
--3/4" pvc (I used one sched. 40, and one 150 class (thinner if you need more interior room)
--2 pair latex gloves (not shown)

Cut the PVC to size and split. Make sure each halve fits, marking inner and outer. Hinge the PVC on one side with tape outer and inner sides to form a clam shell. Practice installing it until you can reliably install it by feel. If you don't hinge them you will find they will overlap rather than mate up.

Dispense glue, keeping separate until you begin mixing. Mix enough material to fill one clamshell only (this stuff goes off fast!). Blend well, load clam shell and install. Hold in place for a few seconds. Be sure to have ample glue on the bottom portion -- Ideally some would squeeze out the bottom (I didn't use enough to do this) because this is the most stressed area.

I highly recommend using latex gloves and double gloving each hand. You well likely get some glue on your gloves. When you mix your second batch, simply strip off the sticky outer gloves and you're ready to go again.

Here is the finished product. It will hopefully stabilize the cam columns for many years.
8)