Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had a 2006 Hobie Getaway that got smashed (including trailer) by a drunk driver. I was able to salvage some of the parts from it. I then bought a "parts" boat a couple years ago... basically two 2001 hulls and crossbeams (matching serial numbers) that had some bullet holes in them. I paired my salvaged parts with the the parts boat and have a complete Hobie Getaway now. That was couple years ago.

But now I'm putting a 3.5hp outboard kicker on it. And I'm trying to register it so I can operate legally.

When it comes to registering the boat, all that matters to the state are the 2001 hulls. They don't care about the rudders or wings or trampoline being from a previous boat. All I have for them is a bill of sale (for the parts boat). The "parts boat" man is not answering his phone so that I can see if he has any further paperwork, which I strongly doubt he does.

I've been to the DMV twice.. the first time with just the bill of sale. They said to contact the FWC and have them check out my boat. So I met with the FWC (Florida Wildlife Conservation) to inspect my boat and help progress the registration process. They ran the hulls and they came back "Not Stolen" and can see that I'm doing the right thing and want to help get my boat titled. They filled out their FWC form, marked several checkboxes, and wrote a description of the boat along with comments recommending the state to please title the boat for me.

The second time I go to the DMV with this FWC form (filled out and signed by the FWC), they say I need further paperwork from the past. I need an MSO or previous registration of the boat. But we all know that no one registers these boats because it is unecessary to do so unless you put a motor on them. Hobie says the MSO can be acquired for those hulls, but they can only be supplied to the dealer to whom they sold the hulls. I think we can all see trying to connect the dots and getting all the right people and documents lined up to be a near-impossible task.

The FWC likes that I'm doing the right thing and want to help me get this done. They checked out my boat, and completed their form... and wrote notes specifically recommending titling for the boat. They think the boat should bet titled.

Anyhow, I feel like I'm out of options other than to create a fake document. I'm open to suggestions on any of this. And I'm thinking of creating my own MSO document and a fictitious dealer invoice. I'm looking for an MSO from which I can reference. If you have anything like that, let me know... send me a personal message or however you'd like to do it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't know about FL, but in Georgia you can file an Affidavit of Vessel Ownership that says:

I do hereby declare that I am the legal owner of the vessel described above and that the statements made by me in
this affidavit or in any documents attached thereto and in any vessel registration applications that I submit for this
vessel are true and complete to the best of my knowledge and belief. I further attest that I am not in possession of a
Bill of Sale for this vessel, and do not possess (or have submitted to DNR) any previous owners’ original Vessel
Registration cards. I am therefore completing this Affidavit of Ownership in the absence of required ownership
documents in order to obtain a Georgia vessel registration in my name.

You might ask if you can file a similar document to clear up the registration morass.

http://georgiawildlife.com/sites/defaul ... ership.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Update:
This morning I called the registration/title dept. at the State about my situation and they said they don't see what the hold-up is. They summarized that the DMV is asking for
1. Previous Registration - which is a document that doesn't exist
and/or
2. MSO - which is over 15 years ago. (The hulls are 2001.)

The State doesn't understand what the hold-up is. I asked if they'd make a call and they said they can't "force" the DMV, which is county-run, to title anything. The State literally advised me to try a different office.

So I did. I just got denied at the other office but a gal said to come in on Monday to speak with their supervisor. Made a call back to the FWC, keeping them abreast, and they are equally frustrated with the situation as well.

I'm nearing rolling up my sleeves and faking some documents.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MisterMoon, thank you. I will explore that route as well. I appreciate your suggestion and the link.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do you have your title or documentation from your 2006. I noticed on my 2012 the serial number is just scratched into the back of the hull. Seems like your 2001 hulls could magically become 2006.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's not a bad idea. I'm disappointed I hadn't thought of that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here in Texas, situations like that require a "bonded" title along with an official inspection to cover your butt and ensure that later on, if something turns up with the numbers reported stolen, they know where to find you. If no one makes a claim against the property, it becomes a regular title. I hate hearing about your issues with this and.... about your other boat being destroyed.
Keep up your great videos on Youtube though. Some of us out here enjoy them thoroughly. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Forget trying to title the new hulls (2001), Just renew your old registration. No one is ever going to check the serial numbers on the hulls. If you are concerned about it, scratch the new numbers into the hulls, unless you try to re-register the boat in a new state. My first Hobie came from out of state and Utah requires a VIN inspection bringing a boat in state. The officer looked over the boat for a while, unable to find a serial number plate he just shrugged and signed the paper. Neither he or I realized that he hin/vin was scratched into the hulls.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've since been to the DMV a 4th time. They are starting to budge a hair. They gave me a document to be signed by the seller (from whom I bought the 2001 hulls) and notarized. The problem I've told them is the guy is uncontactable... not responding to phone calls. Anyhow, I have a friend seeing what they can do to help me in that department. If a fake signature and a "cool" notary is all I need... I don't think I'm too far away from registering my Getaway.

Thanks for all your tips, sailors. I will see about going the 2006 hull route. It does sound like a way to go. I have a good bill of sale for that, but no previous title. Not sure how much red-tape they'll try to put me through going that route as well. Seems like a similar scenario.

Owtcast, I'll keep up on the vids. Got one coming up with some beautiful scenery. I used to sail/fish in Port A, TX when I lived there for a few years. I love and miss the Texas coast.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Imagine that... small world. :D I lived in Florida for 5 years while in the military. Jacksonville. I still have buddies spread out all over the state.... Daytona, Big Pine Key, Miami, Boca Raton, West Palm, Ft. Lauderdale. I can see myself visiting them more often now that I can drag my own Getaway to the state to play. :wink:
And yes, this area is a sportsman's paradise. It's a great place to be for a fisherman, sailor, or just a water enthusiast. I just wish we didn't have to get a quarter mile out before the muddy Mississippi waters cleared up. lol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, Irma hit and things were on hold for a bit. Finally though, this spring, my friend's notary was able to notarize the document. The boat was registered successfully! It's been great to have the 3.5hp on the cheata mount. It opens up a lot of possibilities – like motoring off of the island your camping on about 300 yards on a caaallm evening, shutting off the motor, drifting, watching the sunset with a friend while drinking scotch... and watching the full moon rise.

Not sure why the DMV was making it so hard for me, but at least it's done and I'm legal with the motor. It's been great!