Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

after looking more at the torquedo, I now see that it has an enclosed battery so it does make sense. so the next question is would the ultralight 403 be strong enough to get my getaway back to dock in zero wind times? again, I am not interested in how fast this happens, just that it could push the weith of the getaway. Honestly most times it would be under 1/2 mile, worse case would be 2 miles, and that would be very rare. The advantage for me is that I cannot leave the motor on the boat and I leave my boat in dry storage at my lake and stuff like that likes to walk away...... The ultralight is light enough to take with me easy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i have a travel 1003, it is light and plenty strong enough
I think the major difference is battery capacity. the 1003 comes in 3 parts for easy storage and handling,
please let me know if I can offer any info.
Fair Winds.................

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How do you have your 1003 mounted? I like that it is les stuff hanging off the back of the boat. Also why the 1003 instead of the 503? The liturature says that the 503 will do a boat up to 750kg, which the getaway for sure is under. Quite a bit less money.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a cheetah mount and got a 1003 only to be sure. I may need to travel a long way (not in the last two years). I did find out a few things about maintenance. i live in Florida and have the boat on a lift. I have access to several draw bridges and a long canal. always prepared. I hope

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Got it! In my case I sail on a lake that has a habbit of having low wind that dies off unexpectidly, usually I am not too far from the dock, but I do not think the full length of the lake is over 5 miles, so I think the 503 would do the job!!! any issues with the motor, does not hang in the water? Clears the tiller crossbar?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cavi wrote:
How do you have your 1003 mounted? I like that it is les stuff hanging off the back of the boat. Also why the 1003 instead of the 503? The liturature says that the 503 will do a boat up to 750kg, which the getaway for sure is under. Quite a bit less money.

The 1003 has 2x the power and a lot bigger battery for about $300 more. The 503 might push the Getaway, but it's nice having the extra power when fighting a head wind. And if you have to go 5 miles with the 503, the battery may not last that long. I've drained the 1003 battery by 50% on a long motor-sail across Lake Mendota when the wind went away. I looked at the 503, but the 1003 seems like a lot more motor for a little more money. If the 1003C had been available 5 years ago, I might have bought that. I once had to paddle a Hobie 17 for 5 miles in the Chesapeake Bay, alone, at night. It wasn't much fun.

http://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/produc ... rds/travel

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

you are right it is only 200 more, Originally I was looking at the 1003Cs which is like 800 more than the 503

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can someone here please help…

I plan on installing a Honda 2.3hp on my PA14 and side mount it just behind the seat, I plan to balance it out with a 15kg battery or weight on the opposite side.

Would you recommend a 15" short shaft or 20" long shaft for the PA14 since the transform to keel length is 20" inches? I am inclined towards the long 20" Shaft...

I only fish saltwater and never in shallows except for when launching from the beach.

I only require it for trolling hard plastics @4 knots or 6kms and not for maximum speed.

You thoughts please would be much appreciated as I plan to buy my motor shorty and I am sure this topic would help others too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the best experience today with the Honda unbelievable... everything was as planned and just perfect.

Here is a video, if you need to see something in particular let me know and ill take a photo or video of that part.

https://youtu.be/V7NqWt5k2X8

[youtube]https://youtu.be/V7NqWt5k2X8[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have posted an updated extended video (link below) hopefully this will answer most questions you may have.

https://youtu.be/iZkUz6v4SIA

https://youtu.be/iZkUz6v4SIA