Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Was sailing in 15 knot winds and the rudders kept kicking up just from the water pressure and speed.
Only way I could sail was to sit mid tramp and push down constantly on the cross tube of the tiller.

I have crewed the boat before and was not aware of this issue. This was the first time I skippered it.

Any tips. Also some just guidelines on use of the traveller would be helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What style of rudders to you have? There would both require different fixes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

You could leave the traveler centered, but will have better performance traveled out to about the hiking strap in high wind or when reaching across the wind. All the way out sailing down wind. Centered for upwind sailing.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Drudgedread-

If you have the EZ lock rudders, there is a bolt near the top of rudder that you can tighten, so that the rudder doesn't pop up so easily. I had this exact problem, I know how frustrating it can be. Once I tightened that bolt, rudders worked great.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Can you tighten the bolts in the rudder housing to give it a bit of resistance? I've never had this issue.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Did anyone find a solution to this issue. One of my rudders kept lifting today when in 15-20knots. Very annoying when out on trapeze to have to come in all the time.
Any answers from the Hobie people? I have same rudders as Craig9r

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

jezzaqld wrote:
Did anyone find a solution to this issue. One of my rudders kept lifting today when in 15-20knots. Very annoying when out on trapeze to have to come in all the time.
Any answers from the Hobie people? I have same rudders as Craig9r

I've asked the same question about the same problem on a brand new Getaway. I was told to do a search on this topic and found your post.
I've seen 5 suggestions for a cure here and elsewhere...
a) tighten the hinge bolt
b) loosen the hinge bolt !!!
c) tighten the top bolt
d) trim the rudder shape as per PDF publication. This apparently stops the hum, so reducing drag so the rudder shouldn't pop up so easily
e) drill a whole through the rudder and use sacrificial pins so as not to face the rudder should you hit something, eg wooden golf tees???
I think the problem is more prevalent in hotter climates as the plastic rudder stock will soften and is not stiff enough to hold down the rudders

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:33 am 
Site Admin

The housings get distorted if the rudders are left partly down (Forces the housings outwards).

Tighten the hinge bolt (Not loosen).

Add a length of shock cord to hold the rudder down.

Called a kick back kit. 1544 KICK BACK KIT, TRENTEC

KICK BACK KIT
Returns rudders to locking position quickly and effortlessly. Really great when sailing in weed filled waters. Installs on the existing rudder bolts.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The rubber cams/blocks sometimes don't fit tightly into the grooves on the rudder. The rudder stock seems to be too pliable and flexible particularly in warmer climates. Also the knot in the elastic shock cord prevents the stock and rubber cam from clamping tightly on the rudder.
Solution... work in progress!
1. I've rerouted the shock cord so there is no knot between the stock and the rudder blade
2. I put a small piece of inner tube rubber behind the cam/rubber block so it stands more proud from the stock. To do this undo the two bolts holding the tiller and rudder to the stock. Push out the rubber cam/block. Place a small piece of rubber inner tube behind the block so making it stand more proud away from the stock. Then reassemble.
First trials have been a success in that the rudders haven't popped up. However I've not yet tested in fully powered up conditions yet.
watch this space.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sadly my fix has not worked.
Port rudder particularly is popping up..
It seems to me the rudder stock plastic is just too soft.
Rudder kicks up when travelling at speed..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How flat is the boat when the rudder pushes up? Is the windward rudder still in the water? Or does the angle of heel matter? I never had an issue, but I sailed pretty flat.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Flat.
I've sailed with rudders off another older Getaway on my boat and there's no problem. The stocks do seem stiffer on the older boat so the blocks clamp more tightly in their slots.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The rudder also gives up at speed on a broad reach. Don't get me wrong I love the boat but the rudders really do limit its performance in a strong breeze. In my opinion the stocks need beefing up. The rudder themselves need to be made from stiffer material. And looking at the pintles I reckon they'll need bolts and a backing plate to take the extra load that may come from stiffer rudders.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Easiest fix is to pin them with a breakaway pin. I think there is also a breakaway clam cleat that could be used with a line to hold the rudders down (like on a kayak). Shame that your boat has poor tolerances while others don't have the issue.

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II