Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All,

I currently own a 2008 Hobie Wave and a 2009 Getaway.
The wave sees a lot more sailing time because its easier to set up, but I find myself wanting more out of it and missing the Getaway.

I actually carry both with my truck to the water and setup and take down as needed when sailing.
Both take about 1 hour to unload setup and about 1 hour to take down and load.

I know the simple solution would be get a trailer. I live in suburbia hell outside of Toronto and I do not have room for a trailer.
So this is what I do to sail... lol.

Wave

Getaway in Transport

Wave In Transport

I’ve been approached locally by an individual who wants to trade me their 2011 Hobie Tatoo for my 2009 Getaway.
I rarely use the Getaway because where I live I don't have the luxury of a trailer.
The Getaway is a bit of a pain because of how heavy it is to load and unload and I'm considering the Tatoo because its actually lighter still.

Thoughts ---
Both boats appear to be aged equally.
Perhaps the sails on the Tatoo are slightly better condition.
Both boats are equipped with a furler for the jib.
Neither are setup for a spinnaker.
My Getaway is equipped with Wings.
The Tatoo is equipped with a trapeze system.
Trampolines are in good shape for their age.

From what I have read online, the Tatoo was released for the European market and never available in North America? It was replaced by the Hobie T2 in 2013 and then removed from the Hobie lineup for 2017 when they redesigned the Getaway. 2016 was the last year the T2 was available. The Tatoo was designed towards performance and flying whereas the Getaway was more of a luxury cat for the family. Similar yet different if you will. The Tatoo will perform better in light winds.
Original MSRP was the same between both.

The Tatoo has a different hull design but length is similar.
The Tatoo is lighter, with slightly less maximum capacity in comparison to the Getaway.
The Tatoo has a maximum suggested capacity of 3-4 people where as the Getaway 6-8?
The Tatoo has slightly more sail area and a taller mast VS the Getaway.
Both mast' are 2 piece with a glued Comp tip.

I have never seen a Tatoo in person and would like to know if anyone has any direct experience with the Tatoo or T2 cats?

Immediate Questions:
Are there any areas of concern that I should look at when inspecting the Tatoo?
Does anyone make replacement sails for the Tatoo /T2?
Replacement parts such as the Comp Tip? Can they be sourced still?

I would appreciate any Opinions & Input please!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you aren't sailing the Getaway much because it is too heavy and no trailer, I don't think swapping for a Ta2 is going to solve that since weights of the hulls will be about the same.

I suspect that replacement parts and sails would be difficult to find for Hobie parts specific to the boat here in N. America both since it wasn't sold much here and because it is discontinued.

Gotta admire your dedication to rooftop and setup these boats...and do it in an hour. Whew...that's humpin'

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I own a T2 and can not imagine the amount of work it would take to rig it from a car top. It takes me an hour to just get from the trailer to ready to sail in the water. Lacing up the trampoline would probably take me an hour or more. It is also a heavy boat at 390 pounds. I believe even the mast is heavier than the Getaway spar, which makes stepping more difficult. If Hobie is listening, if I could get a T1 in the US I would sell my T2 and buy that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I looked at a video of a Ta2 sailing and it looks like it is about the same size as a wave but has a front crossbar and jib. You might want to take the time to go visit your local fellow enthusiast and take one of the wave hulls with you for comparison. Might even see if you can lift them onto your roof. I gotta ask, how do you transport the mast on the cartop? 25 feet is a long piece to be transporting.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tpdavis473 wrote:
If you aren't sailing the Getaway much because it is too heavy and no trailer, I don't think swapping for a Ta2 is going to solve that since weights of the hulls will be about the same.

I suspect that replacement parts and sails would be difficult to find for Hobie parts specific to the boat here in N. America both since it wasn't sold much here and because it is discontinued.

Gotta admire your dedication to rooftop and setup these boats...and do it in an hour. Whew...that's humpin'

I went to go look at the boat this weekend . It's 4 inches shorter than a Getaway ~ much longer than a Wave. A little lighter than the Getaway, but not by much. The hulls are much more dense than the Wave. - similar feel to the Getaway.
I found some cracks in the hull around the front cross beam. I doubt the owner was even aware till I started my inspection.
All in all it was a nice boat and I would have traded for if the boat didn't have the cracks in the hull.

Fortunately or unfortunately ~ depending on how you look at it --- while I was at his club, I was put on to a Nacra F18 Infusion that was for sale but not listed anywhere yet.
The F18 ended up following me home yesterday.

The Getaway is now for sale.
I will be keeping the Tandem Island and Wave.

As for carrying the mast, -- if you look at my truck, I have a bed rack and a rood roof rack with cradles for the Hobie Adventure Island Tandem on top. My truck is about 21ft long. I am able to put the mast on top of the roof and secure it with no problems.

I've joined a local sailing club and have a trailer now that is stored at the club, so the likelihood of me roof toping a cat is much less.
I will see how much use the Wave gets now that the F18 is the new shiny toy so to speak.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's a fun boat. May take you some time to get used to playing with daggerboards.

BMW C600
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You can get a trailer with a folding tongue trailer can be shorter than boat… you can let boat stick out a bit when you drive it. You can store boat on a trailer that is overall shorter than the boat and therefore fits … in this way you can enjoy it a lot more!