Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How strong of a wind can a Getaway withstand?
How high can the waves be before it’s dangerous for a Getaway?
I’m thinking of purchasing one. The bay I would sail it on, usually gets up to 10 or 15 mph offshore winds in the afternoon. The waves can reach a foot or so with white crests on them.
I’ve seen a wind surfer out in these conditions, as well as 18’ and larger sailboats with keels. I just have not read anything about the practical limits of a Getaway.
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Getaway will handle the conditions you described just fine. If conditions are rough, you may consider removing the forward trampoline so it doesn’t hit the waves in order to help prevent pitchpoling. Keep in mind that the sailor’s capability is just as important as the boat’s when it comes to sailing in strong winds. If you go out in conditions that are beyond your skill set, you could find yourself in trouble.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I sail my getaway in a Texas bay that has conditions very similar to what you describe and it does great. If you prefer a calmer sail, you can go earlier in the day before the wind & waves build. If you like a little more excitement, you can go later in the day. Now that my kids are older, we rarely go out in under 10mph winds. A lot of it depends on preference - how fast do you want to go? Do you want to stay dry? The boat can easily handle the conditions you describe.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've sailed my Getaway on Lake Michigan in some 20+ winds with 3'+ waves. No problem. A wet and wild ride. I've soloed it on Lake Mendota and Koshkonong, both 10000 acre lakes, in 25+ winds. That was right on the edge for me. If I'd had crew, it would have been wild fun.
I did have reef points put in my sail by Quantum Sails, and I'll reef it if the winds are gusting much above 20.

The conditions you describe don't challenge the boat at all. It sounds like a pleasant day on the water, moving the boat nicely with no great excitement! :lol:

The Getaway can handle higher winds with less drama than H16s. Heavier hulls, slightly shorter mast, no boom so the sail spills air. I often sail with a couple of H16s in big wind, and when they are flying hulls and sheeting out, I'm barely lifting the windward hull. With 20+ winds, the Getaway and H16s run at a dead heat. In significantly lighter winds, the H16s are faster than the G.

Too many canoes and kayaks