Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Smofa wrote:
Im a 2018 Hobie Getaway owner, which I bought new from my local dealer. Believe it or not, I got my port hull bow twisted like a water bottle from vacuum inside the hull right in-front of me. Because of putting ice in the port hull built in "icebox" in summer while the boat was sitting on beach sand. Which I now discovered you shouldn't do in a plastic "beachcat", if you live in hot summer areas.

The issue now is not paying for the new replacement hull, but Hobie doesn't have a spare hull for a 2018 boat!!

I tried to fix the bow with hot water, it didn't work. The reverse bow is now too flexible you can move it by hand.

So, unlike fiberglass, if your a current Getaway owner, and your plastic hull is damaged. Go park it next to your closest polyutherene dumpster.

I had a damaged 2019 hull replaced by Hobie. The warranty claim response was excellent. Hobie agreed within a week or so of the claim being submitted but the delivery took 14 months due to COvid restrictions at various ports.
There are hulls available I'm the states. This dealer has 3 pairs of hulls although I'm not sure they would be willing to sell separately. Always worth asking though.
Fast Lane Sailing and Kayak Center
2590 Ingraham Street
San Diego, CA 92109
619-222-0766
www.fastlanekayaking.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The photos here appear to show the new hull design:

https://funtosail.blogspot.com/2021/08/2022-hobie-getaways.html

The Hobie site itself seems to display a gallery showing a mixture of all three types:

https://www.hobie.com/sail/getaway/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I emailed "Fast Lane Sailing and Kayak Center"...They don't have spare hulls in stock. You probably got the last spare hull before Hobie decided to sell everything, and not keep any spare hulls in stock for previous Getaway owners.