Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getaway Cover
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently purchased a new to me Getaway (2009). It was used very little and stored indoors at all times, so it is in like new condition. I would like to keep it in as good as condition as possible, however I will not be storing it inside during the summer months - I intend to leave it on our beach to make it easier and more appealing to go sailing. I want to protect it from the elements when not in use by covering the tramp and tops the hulls.

I read in older forums that the cover from Hobie is not so good. Does anyone have any recommendations? I found this online - it's pricey, but looks nice: https://saltcitysailing.com/products/ho ... 5845895231

Any other protection and simplicity hints would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Getaway Cover
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the cover is waterproof, like the Hobie silver cover is, cut slits in it where it covers the main and front trampolines. I had mine fill with water after a heavy rain, and both tramps sagged alarmingly. The slits will relieve the water letting it leak through the mesh tramps.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

dorienc wrote:
If the cover is waterproof, like the Hobie silver cover is, cut slits in it where it covers the main and front trampolines. I had mine fill with water after a heavy rain, and both tramps sagged alarmingly. The slits will relieve the water letting it leak through the mesh tramps.

@dorienc - Thank you for the advice!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OnClayTime wrote:
I found this online - it's pricey, but looks nice: https://saltcitysailing.com/products/ho ... 5845895231

I recently bought a trampoline from Salt City Sailing and the quality and fitment were great. I cannot confirm durability of their products yet but give Ben a call and ask him any questions you may have about the cover. 1-801-859-3962

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a totally porous cover, it is almost mesh like. It keeps the uv out but lets in the rain. I use the boat most weeks so I can't see the boat getting wet harming the tramp or anything else for that matter, however the sun can degrade the trams and discolour the hulls over time.
Every 3 or 4 months I take off the tramps for cleaning, particularly underneath where green algae and other grott tends to finely coat the material. I use no detergent in the hope of preserving any surface barrier which I understand is put on in manufacturing as a uv blocker, but I may be wrong about that. Someone at my club advised me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you guys - very helpful information.