Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello. I have a Getaway that I race every Tuesday in Michigan. There are four Getaways in the fleet. I have as much or more experience as the other racers. When I sailed a mono hull I won a season. Now I am the slowest of the Getaways. Mine is newer than theirs. Could I have something set up wrong or less than optimal? In races I try to mimic their sail setting and boat position and am still slower. I think I might be a poor cat sailor, as I had a Wave also and could never beat the other wave, even when they had two people aboard.

Looking for tips on anything I can do to be faster.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tips...
Make sure there's adequate tension in the jib luff. I now use a downhaul tied just above the furler
Crank on plenty of main sheet going up wind. This also tensions the jib luff.
Rake mast back to the lowest settings on the shroud chain plates
Tension the trampolines to give maximum stiffness to the sailing platform
Mind where you and crew sit in the boat... Bow down in most cases is quickest, particularly upwind as long as you don't invite pitchpole capsize
Check the hulls for water. Making sure there's no water in the hulls is a great psychological crutch.
I'm routinely racing hobie 16s with no handicap correction. Enjoy the challenge and you'll be rewarded with some surprising results

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks a ton, rake is definitely forward and I am uncertain of jib tension. Where do you attach the main sheet to the main (which hole? or is it wind dependent?) my colleagues all leave it in the middle hole regardless of conditions

i will let you know how these changes work out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

csherbro wrote:
Where do you attach the main sheet to the main (which hole? or is it wind dependent?)

Those holes are the "outhaul". In light winds, hook to an aft hole to increase the draft of the sail. In very high winds, put it in the most forward hole to flatten the draft. Experiment with it, you can tell the difference.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ASHUS, thank you. I crossed the line in 1st place last night. I did have a more seasoned sailor on board but I believe the changes made a big difference. The jib was much cleaner after raising a few inches and adding a downhaul. Mast rake is considerably further back than it was. I seemed to be able to point higher and my sails seemed more efficient. I paid more attention to tell tales than to the wind vanes which also seemed to help

Thanks a ton for your support